PDA

View Full Version : Planning to start new company, need some help

ppadavana
05-28-2010, 10:28 AM
I have been planning to start a new lawn maintenance company and am doing my homework. My goal would be to be in place and ready for next spring, hopefully having a number of contracts in place for the new 2011 season. As I did work for a large landscape maintenance company in the past, currently I am a starving Realtor in this crazy housing market and ready to make a change. Even tough I have some experience, I'd rather consider myself as knowing next to nothing and would like advice from professionals currently running a successful business. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

First, any input on some of these web sites selling information on starting a new lawn care business? I understand it's just information but are any really worth it.

Second, for those companies running more than one truck/crew, what would you estimate each truck/crew needs to produce annually. (Gross Profit)

My ultimate goal would be to run a business and not our in the field. I do understand the at first I might be doing the work myself.

Thank you.
Paul

JP Landscaping
05-28-2010, 04:22 PM
If you want to start out and be out of the field soon, you will need a lot of work. Lets say a 1 man crew can mow 50 30 minute lawns per week. Then in order for you to hire someone to do that, you will need at least 50 lawns. Now if you hire someone to do those lawns, you will be making very little money because you have to pay them. certainly not enough to supplement your needs. You would need another job. This would be side money.

if you want to make good money and run two crews, you are looking at 4-6 employees. You are probably looking at 200+ weekly lawns. Getting that many lawns will take a while or quite a bit of investment money if you were to buy some other business out.

as for your question.... two crews/trucks could probably get you $6000+ weekly gross(depending on how close your routs are). $180,000+ annually

Steve
05-28-2010, 09:36 PM
Welcome to our forum Paul.

As far as training goes, did you see the free lawn care business school (http://www.gopherforum.com/index.php?pageid=GopherHaul-Lawn-Care-Business-School) on the forum?

My ultimate goal would be to run a business and not our in the field. I do understand the at first I might be doing the work myself.

I don't think there are many lawn care business owners on here who basically run their business from the office. It is such a demanding job and employees need to constantly be supervised.

What's keeping you from getting your business started now? Why not start working on some lawns and scale it up?

StartALawnCareBusiness
06-04-2010, 12:48 PM
Quite honestly, I think you need to start your business doing the work yourself. Being hands on with the customers, the equipment, and the work will give you a different respect for your business that you just can't gain otherwise.

Also, why not start right now? There are 5 good months left in this season. The customers you gain and the lessons you learn this year will be with you all winter and you will have a headstart for next year.

Good luck:

Keith
http://www.StartALawnCareBusiness.com