PDA

View Full Version : Rabbit Control

NewLeafca
05-26-2010, 10:53 PM
I have a new client that swears rabbits are eating her lawn. I have never seen rabbits eat grass to the point that it actually makes it brown and patchy. They mostly eat the more woody plants. However, she wants me to find away to stop the rabbits. I don't know what to do any ideas. She already has a rabbit fence up so they are either hopping the fence or finding another way in.

Steve
05-27-2010, 04:30 AM
This is a very interesting situation. If the customer wants to be that focused on rabbits eating her lawn, why not just get a rabbit trap and charge her for the additional service?

Would that be something you'd be interested in offering?

http://shop.robharvey.com/ekmps/shops/rob1harvey/images/rabbit_trap.jpg

MountainViewGreenskeeper
05-27-2010, 06:57 PM
ya used to work for a sod company we had to replace a whole install cause they said our sod wasnt good and holding up? no other problems from any other customers from that batch. she lives in a mountain desert wooded area in phoenix lots of rabits. We know they were the problem but replaced the sod anyways. Never heard if or what else they did to get rid of the rabbits.

Also though never heard of rabbits causing that much damage to an existing lawn so who know for sure. Maybe you could ask around both other landscapers/animal control in ur area.

DenisD
05-27-2010, 08:56 PM
I have a new client that swears rabbits are eating her lawn. I have never seen rabbits eat grass to the point that it actually makes it brown and patchy. They mostly eat the more woody plants. However, she wants me to find away to stop the rabbits. I don't know what to do any ideas. She already has a rabbit fence up so they are either hopping the fence or finding another way in.

Three nights, one bright lite, one 22 rifle, one black iron pot, some onions, garlic, and enjoy.

NewLeafca
05-28-2010, 09:35 AM
Also though never heard of rabbits causing that much damage to an existing lawn so who know for sure. Maybe you could ask around both other landscapers/animal control in ur area.

I did ask some others who I know did work in that area. They said that some of the clients have had problems with rabbits eating there landscape plants and gardens but not the lawns. So not real sure. I told her I could just try some of the sprays and see what happens.

Also Steve I did talk to animal control officer and they said that if it is rabbits then there are probably only a few that are eating the lawn and the cage would not be a bad way to go. I can get one for free from them for a few weeks so gave her that option also.

I think the last Gardner was just plain lazy and it looks like he didn't care. Other parts of the lawn are showing signs of neglect. So if I can get it back to par I think she will be happy and forget about rabbits.

MountainViewGreenskeeper
05-28-2010, 05:58 PM
Three nights, one bright lite, one 22 rifle, one black iron pot, some onions, garlic, and enjoy.

lol great stuff. Makes good stew made that for my country report in like 5th grade... no one else would eat it so that was my lunch that day. lol. Anyways depends on the area but that wouldnt work here in town. You might get away with an air pistol here but a 22 ur lookin for trouble.

Steve
05-28-2010, 08:39 PM
The thing that I wonder about all of this is, if a customer gets fixated on something as it being a problem, in this instance rabbits, should the business owner simply say ok let's handle the rabbit problem? Or if you feel it's something else, should you try and educate the customer first before you work on the problem they have come up with in their mind?

Jack Rabbit
05-28-2010, 09:23 PM
Us rabbits never cause trouble.

NewLeafca
05-28-2010, 10:26 PM
The thing that I wonder about all of this is, if a customer gets fixated on something as it being a problem, in this instance rabbits, should the business owner simply say ok let's handle the rabbit problem? Or if you feel it's something else, should you try and educate the customer first before you work on the problem they have come up with in their mind?
I think you are right. I think the problem is something else and am trying to educate the client without her feeling stupid. So I am trying to give her several options. I am trying to make the rabbit control options more expensive thinking she will either say no lets try the other this is to much. Or if I do spend my time chasing invisible rabbits then I at least get my money worth.

If I can correct the other problems at a reasonable price and they work then I not only get a satisfied customer but get some good referrals on the side. I have talked her into letting me do a soil test to see what is going on and that will be a good start for me. This way I will no what is going on for sure or at least give me a better idea.

Steve
05-30-2010, 09:43 PM
Keep us posted on how this turns out.