PDA

View Full Version : Flyers With Estimates?

markty
05-26-2010, 04:09 PM
Thinking about going to some houses that I have noticed that need some mowing services etc. and leaving a flyer with an estimate. Any thoughts on using this approach?

Thanks,

Mark Lowe
Grasshopper's Lawn Care
Nova Scotia, Canada

jklawncare
05-26-2010, 05:44 PM
im making flyers like that again for everyone..
if know they have a maintenance crew already i can put
a we fix mismanaged lawns with a (O with a line through it) symbol and a zero turn inside..i saw someone on the forum with that and i fell in love..

i use small mowers so i can say they damage it and we wont..ive had 2 of my customers join cause we dont use heavy machinery so i like to advertise that as much as possible

otherwise id make a flyer saying we will beat there quality and service..and if you feel comfortable put..we will beat there price too..but i wouldnt..that just means your asking for cheap customers who dont care and just want a cheap lawn..if your okay with that then fine..read around the forums..theres alot of big discussions

racerdude711
05-26-2010, 10:12 PM
I put estimates on all of my flyers and had a great outcome. I think people like a straight price right off the bat instead of having to call and have you come out. Definitely think you'll have great results using this technique. I do agree with jklawncare on the fact that you should advertise better service and quality, but be careful with the "we'll beat their price". I've never said I will beat someone's price because I have know idea if the neighbor kid was doing the lawn for $15 before me. Also, if you have some pictures of nicely landscaped lawns that you mow for, post the pic on your flyer. I love to show off my stripes, so I'll always put a pic or two on my flyers of my stripes. Goodluck. Also, JK, where are you going to get your flyers printed? Online? Store?

Steve
05-27-2010, 04:27 AM
Thinking about going to some houses that I have noticed that need some mowing services etc. and leaving a flyer with an estimate.

Do you hand them to the homeowner or just leave them in the door?

lowermower
07-17-2010, 07:10 AM
I've passed out 500 flyers, 350 of them were the free estimate type with my number. I had 3 calls out of the 350, all three were tire kickers.
I made some new flyers with a place for an estimate and I write it in as I go door to door. 150 of those and I picked up two accounts so far.

I prefer the estimate on the flyer, there's no guessing, you either want my services or you don't. I don't have to go out wasting gas to quote one house here and another way over there. When I go back to the house it's with a service agreement and my equipment!

I left my flyers in the door, most people aren't home when I pass.

Steve
07-18-2010, 02:30 AM
I left my flyers in the door, most people aren't home when I pass.

Have you ever experimented with handing out your flyers at different times to possibly improve your response by going door to door when the homeowner is home?

lowermower
07-19-2010, 10:14 AM
Have you ever experimented with handing out your flyers at different times to possibly improve your response by going door to door when the homeowner is home?

Only if a property has serious issues.

I held a job going door to door with newspaper subscriptions in high school, back when people actually read the paper. I had some good and bad experiences knocking on doors, more bad than good. I would hate to spend 15-20 minutes with a person for them to say no. I could cover 12- 16 houses in that same time.

swstout
07-20-2010, 12:27 AM
My criteria for making a flyer:

Write a compelling headline
I use bulleted lists stressing benefits using attractive adjectives (beautiful, professional, etc.)
Write for emotional appeal
Give contact information
List ordering options
Check for grammar and spelling errors
The phrase I use is “A beautiful lawn doesn’t happen by itself”.

I personally do not give estimates on my flyers. I prefer to give them in person where I can up sell.

Steve

Steve
07-20-2010, 02:43 AM
I had some good and bad experiences knocking on doors, more bad than good.

What kind of lessons did you feel you learned from that experience?

lowermower
07-20-2010, 07:57 AM
What kind of lessons did you feel you learned from that experience?

I learned to be successful going door to door you need to be prepared for any question that comes your way. I also learned that you will hear many no's before that one yes. I believe that we all must do things the way that we are comfortable doing them, and that there is no wrong or right way to do things. What won't work for this neighborhood may work in another.