PDA

View Full Version : Making Progress

picframer
05-26-2010, 06:31 AM
This is the large wood chipping, wood hauling, excavation job a crew started on two weeks ago, progress is bang on, I do most of the excavation while one of the helpers uses the 2520 for just about everything and getting really good with it, the first two shots are around the time we started the last four as of yesterday, coming along well about 2 of the 13 to 14 acres are done, we will add mulch after the grading is finished along with walking path's as they want the park look.

Steve
05-27-2010, 05:17 AM
That is just amazing! I can't even imagine how much work that would be to clear that land! It looks incredible. I am sure the customers are ecstatic with the results.

picframer
05-27-2010, 06:39 AM
That is just amazing! I can't even imagine how much work that would be to clear that land! It looks incredible. I am sure the customers are ecstatic with the results.

They along with visitors who saw it two and a half weeks ago before we started are shocked, we are being asked a few times a week if we would look at their projects but we can't at the moment as we have a serious backlog of work.

This area will look very different today as the wood chips are being put down, I don't care for how they want for the finished look as I don't think it will look right, I have gone to great lengths to explain this however they sign the cheque and if it's what they want, it's what we shall do.

picframer
05-27-2010, 03:39 PM

Here is where we were at today, I know the sky is cloudy, less than an hour from this picture the skies opened up and we had to stop, we still have to do the edging but man it is looking good.

mzlawncare
05-27-2010, 05:33 PM
What type of edging are you going to use ?

picframer
05-28-2010, 04:42 AM
What type of edging are you going to use ?

Just Natural but we want a clean cut line, I have a John Deere EC35, it's a walk behind edger that does amazing work, you can also angle the head to cut at whateven angle you wish.

MOLawns
05-28-2010, 07:54 AM
Great work Andy.

Steve
05-28-2010, 09:29 PM
This area will look very different today as the wood chips are being put down, I don't care for how they want for the finished look as I don't think it will look right

What do you mean by this? How won't it look right?

picframer
05-29-2010, 04:19 AM
What do you mean by this? How won't it look right?

It's such a large area that we are doing putting chips down in the entire area seems to look off to me considering the other landscaping we have done, I would have incorporated walking path's, maybe a few shrubs, grass area etc. This area in the picture has around three tandum loads of wood chips that we made so far.

mzlawncare
05-29-2010, 05:23 PM
Take some pictures when the project is all completed

F3Nelson
05-30-2010, 02:53 PM
Here is the tree grinder I used to run before the economy tanked, and that industry went south. Dont get your hands anywhere NEAR the infeed!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Si8eKx2Mri0

Steve
05-30-2010, 10:25 PM
It's such a large area that we are doing putting chips down in the entire area seems to look off to me considering the other landscaping we have done, I would have incorporated walking path's, maybe a few shrubs, grass area etc. This area in the picture has around three tandum loads of wood chips that we made so far.

Andy,

When you run into situations like this, is there anyway to sell the idea you have in your head to the customer or are they simply content with it cleared out and thats it?

picframer
05-31-2010, 05:24 AM
Andy,

When you run into situations like this, is there anyway to sell the idea you have in your head to the customer or are they simply content with it cleared out and thats it?

Most customers yes, they want your opinion as they understand you do this every day and you know what you are talking about, some give us a drawing which allows us some room to tweak it, then you have the customer that insists they want it this way or their way and will not change, problem is quite often they change their mind when it's done, they still pay to have it changed but time is never on our side.

There have been a few cases, not many that come to mind where I simply said no or we can't do whatever but that is not often.

Steve
05-31-2010, 11:46 PM
problem is quite often they change their mind when it's done, they still pay to have it changed but time is never on our side.

With such customers, when they do this, do you find they get mad at you, even though they were told early on or are they just unconcerned and want what they want?

picframer
06-01-2010, 05:13 AM
With such customers, when they do this, do you find they get mad at you, even though they were told early on or are they just unconcerned and want what they want?

I don't recall a customer ever getting mad at us, if we follow their direction having given input, it's their problem if they do not like what they designed, it's the same as our involving customers in landscaping, making them part of the process.

I started a new project at this place, I can't finish my edging as I did something to my back and three staff were off yesterday due to issues from a resturant they ate at Sunday night. I have about 100 feet of a 2000 foot road/path along the ocean started, once the path is finished I will line the bank to the left with rock, client was shocked at how far I got by myself yesterday, to be honest at this stage it's faster for me to do it by myself.

The process is 16" of 6" rock, 24" of gravel then line the side towards the Ocean with bolders.

Steve
06-02-2010, 12:05 AM
Great pictures! Do you bring in a lot of top soil to do such a job or is it just cut out from the side of the hill?

picframer
06-02-2010, 04:35 AM
Great pictures! Do you bring in a lot of top soil to do such a job or is it just cut out from the side of the hill?

Progress would be four times as fast if I could use the soil from the side hill however it has such a high clay content it would be a disaster for my road, it's almost like soup, fine when it's dry by OMG when it gets wet you can't even walk on it. So for now I am bringing in fill, 6" quarry rock and bolders, I have very limited areas where I can dump the products so it's a real slow go.

Steve
06-03-2010, 01:42 AM
Is there an ideal mix you need to use when creating a new road like this around the coast? For instance, do you need some sort of crushed rock as a base and then cover that up with soil and then a final layer? Or what is the appropriate method?

I was watching a show the other day on road building in Alaska during WWII. It was amazing to see all the different issues they had to deal with when building the roads through different conditions.

picframer
06-03-2010, 04:04 AM
Is there an ideal mix you need to use when creating a new road like this around the coast? For instance, do you need some sort of crushed rock as a base and then cover that up with soil and then a final layer? Or what is the appropriate method?

I was watching a show the other day on road building in Alaska during WWII. It was amazing to see all the different issues they had to deal with when building the roads through different conditions.

It really depends on the location, this one is desperate soft, the entire bank seems to have little springs running out of it, the neighbour comes over for a quick visit almost every day, he has lived in this area for over 30 years and said this area has always been wet, very wet.

So I have to create drainage for the side against the bank and under my road, thus the 6" rock, it also provides a good base as you can barely walk along the bank even it we have been a week or more without rain and not sink.

Generally speaking for a driveway it's the same process, 1 to 2 feet of 6" rock, fill or gravel then topped with class A.