PDA

View Full Version : Grass 911

pvplus
05-24-2010, 03:27 AM
the daycare i upkeep is in turmoil for grass in the play area. As it might be a bad idea to granular fertilize, would sod be the better route. Keep in mind this is a year round establishment with kids playing on the grounds at least two times daily.

help me if you would?

picframer
05-24-2010, 04:19 AM
We look after three private schools, one is primary. IMHO you can't do much while school is in however once it shuts down for the summer till, rake, roll, add 4" of top soil and sod/fertilize. With the amount of activity when school is in, sod would never take the beating, if they maintain it, they can have a nice lawn.

B-2 Lawncare
05-24-2010, 10:10 AM
the daycare i upkeep is in turmoil for grass in the play area. As it might be a bad idea to granular fertilize, would sod be the better route. Keep in mind this is a year round establishment with kids playing on the grounds at least two times daily.

help me if you would?

Have you looked at over seeding with a bent grass blue grass mix? It will take a lot of abuse.

mburse1977
05-24-2010, 11:44 AM
St Auguste will take one hell of a beeting but it will have to have time to take also. One it dose there is no killing it.

pvplus
05-24-2010, 12:19 PM
what about the time factor, if applied on friday evening. the kids will be back monday with pitter patting feetsies. is there a particular method that would work in that time frame.

pvplus
05-24-2010, 12:20 PM
hey andy, thanks for the input. the thing for me is this is a year round daycare, what do you think?

kdexpd
05-25-2010, 12:46 AM
You know what I would recommend? Rubber mulch. The day care would spend much less in the long run, and you would make much more in the short term. It's economical, safe, very low maintenance, looks great, and is way, way better after a good rain. Shoot them a bid for the mulch, the border, and the labor as well as the sales pitch and see. The best thing about rubber mulch is it lasts and lasts. When it starts to fade in a few years, you can buy a dye that you put in a sprayer and charge to "refresh" the color. Another thing to think about is a service twice a month to rake it back where it's supposed to be...like underneath the swings and at the end of the slides. Kinda like what they do with rock gardens. The kids would probably prefer the softer landings when they fall, and the teachers would be able to let them out after rain without getting their shoes all muddy. You could get creative with the borders and make them in different shapes with lots of curves and odd angles for fun and eye appeal, and even use different colors for the different areas. Just a thought.

mburse1977
05-25-2010, 10:29 AM
Great idea the price for the product alone is 10 bucks for a half cubit feet. That's a lot of money so all you can do is try and see. When you add in labor the tag will look like a cheap car lol. But if they buy it that would be a nice sale.