PDA

View Full Version : Gettin into Snow Removal

snowparttime
05-23-2010, 10:17 AM
Hello. I am newer to this Forum. My name is DJ and I live in South Western Ohio. I am looking to get into the Snow Removal this winter. Me and a buddy are doing it together. He has an f350 he is going to get a plow for. We also have a bobcat and dump trailer. I have a 2002 dodge 1500 that I am debating on getting a plow for. Do yall think I should get a plow for it or upgrade to a f250 or f350? The truck is paid off, but I hate putting a bunch of money into a very light duty truck that is going to break more than it should. I Shoe horses for a Living and also do some concrete work, so a bigger truck would be better anyway. I pull a 6x12 tandam axle trailer everyday. So what should I do? I have found some nice ford's with less than 70000 miles where i have a payment between 200 and 300.
Thanks for your time
DJ

The Cleaning Doctor
05-23-2010, 11:18 AM
UPGRADE

Hope that helps. F150 too light weight for the work.

kdexpd
05-23-2010, 11:35 AM
I've got a 2005 Dodge 1500 4x4. I thought about putting a snow blade on it several times, but I just can't bring myself to do it. I think it would be too hard on the front end..ball joints, tie rod ends, etc. I went out and bought me a used 4x4 fourwheeler with a blade for driveways this coming year. If I were you, I'd look into buying an older 3/4 ton truck, like a mid to late 1980's so parts are cheap and if you happen to kiss a curb or a pole you aren't out a fortune in paint and parts. Just a thought.

snowparttime
05-24-2010, 06:25 AM
How much as far as contracts can one truck handle? I know it varies but just give me an idea. I want to get enouph that I will feel ok with a new truck and used plow but I dont want to get so much we are fighting a losing battle from the beginning. We currently have two funeral homes and about a half mile long drive with abank size parking lot at the end.
DJ

mzlawncare
05-24-2010, 06:33 AM
DJ ,
You could buy a used UTV and get a snowplow for it. You could also buy a pusheer box for your Bobcat

Steve
05-24-2010, 04:10 PM
Could you use the plow on that truck and take it off later when you get a newer, larger one? Would that be easier?