PDA

View Full Version : Scams

Steve
08-17-2006, 11:33 AM
Here is an interesting scam going on. Have you ever heard of this one or others in your area? Have you ever had a customer call you to clean up a mess done by a scammer?

Paving scams in northwest Ohio (http://abclocal.go.com/wtvg/story?section=consumer&id=4470320) - They'll ask to repair your roof or pave your driveway. But the Better Business Bureau says these traveling scam artists are making their way to our area in a big way. Lately they have been targeting Wood County. They are known for making their money by going into rural areas, targeting the elderly. Local contractors say this year, these traveling gypsies are out in full force. We talked to a man in Grand Rapids who believes he may have been duped. A group of men who called themselves "N.C. Stanley" claimed they worked for a paving company out of Toledo.

A driver of a white pick up truck with a West Virginia license plate asked if he wanted his driveway done. The men said they had extra asphalt and wanted to get rid of it. So they offered this man, who asked not to be identified, if wanted his driveway repaved. He went for it. He paid $1,800 upfront and never asked any questions. But after he saw the job they did, he started having doubts.

Chad Buck is the owner of Buck Bros. Ashphalt and Landscaping in Toledo. He says this man got lucky. "I've seen worse than what I've seen here. We've ripped out plenty of driveways that traveling companies have put in." Buck says these traveling companies are nothing new. He says this year they've seen more scam artists than ever before. Buck told us, "I know exactly who they are. Once you pay these, guys they're gone; they're traveling from state to state.