PDA

View Full Version : Rental Rehab

akessinger84
05-18-2010, 08:17 PM
Recently my company (consisting of my wife and I) picked up a contract to do some light rehab on a rental house for an investment group. We were hired to paint all the interior walls, re-do the tile in the bath room, Repair some broken windows, along with several other items. We also picked up the seasons lawn care contract. These are some photos of the tile being torn up and re-laid in the bath room.

jasonw
05-19-2010, 02:16 PM
You didn't seal the floor before laying the new linoleum? Thats probably what caused the problem to begin with or at least greatly contributed to it. Below is mine that was just done about 3 months ago. We however used White Marble. I started the job but after realizing how much work it was to clean, seal and lay the tile I just didn't have time to finish so had a contractor finish it. We are very happy with the outcome. The 5 layers of linoleum that came out was very bad. The top layer looked good but the lower layers looked like those in your pictures. After consulting a few contractors and tile places the conclusion was made that this happened because there was no moisture barrier between the slab and tile.

akessinger84
05-19-2010, 04:34 PM
No the tile you see me laying is just the peel and stick kind, the home has a basement so moisture shouldnt be as bad as laying directly on a slap. I pretty much did the job the way the home owner wanted it done, cheaply Right now we are painting all the rooms in the home and will be re-tiling the kitchen soon too.

p.s. If I could have done the job my way then it would have looked like your photo

Steve
05-19-2010, 06:51 PM
Hi Albert,

You really are keeping your options open and offering a lot of services! That is fantastic!

How do you advise lawn care business owners to go about doing this? What should they be doing to pick up additional home maintenance jobs like this?

How difficult do you feel it is?

akessinger84
05-19-2010, 07:42 PM
well steve,
The only reason that I have the back ground in these services is because of restructuring our property preservation buisness to a lawn care and landscape buisness. As for other lawn care owners getting into offering these types of home maintenance, if you got the time and your somewhat knowledgable on the task then just spread the word to your customers about your new services.

As for as difficult I come from a long line of independent contractors, my father was a general contractor for over 30 years, and my uncle owned a roofing and painting company, one of my cousins has his own lawncare buisness, so my family is very skilled in the field of contracting.

Steve
05-19-2010, 08:10 PM
How do you feel the two different services compare or contrast?

When does it make sense for a lawn care business owner to look into offering these additional services?

akessinger84
05-19-2010, 10:18 PM
Well for one steve with property preservation your doing just what the title says, "preserving a property" rather it be lawn care, or plumbing, debris removal, demo and rehab. You pretty much have to be a skilled jack of all trades. With lawn care your foucus is more on the exteior of the home and you very seldom do any inside work

Steve
05-20-2010, 04:28 PM
With exposure to both parts of it, do you find you like one versus the other better?

akessinger84
05-20-2010, 04:51 PM
It about the same to me, only big difference is money