PDA

View Full Version : A changing field

Steve
08-14-2006, 03:23 PM
Do you find this to be the case? Are less teenagers getting into the business because they don't want to work? Is this a new trend?
Is this ultimately good or bad for us all?

A changing field (http://www.berkshireeagle.com/localnews/ci_4146119) - Like the way of the milkman, the neighborhood corner store and the door-to-door salesman, gone are the days of the enterprising teenager lawn mower in tow making rounds from grass plot to grass plot.

"It's unheard of," said Ernie Lampron, 35, owner of Always Growing Landscaping of Washington. "If they can't push and click, they don't want to do it. Kids don't mow lawns anymore."

For the most part, he's right. Drive through the loveliest neighborhoods of Berkshire County or any county, for that matter and ask residents who is responsible for mowing their lawns.

tiedeman
08-14-2006, 08:27 PM
I agree, The young kids don't want to work. They just want to live off from mom and dad. But again, I don't necessarily blame it totally on kids. Anymore, school and sports own 99% of kids time and energy. School and sports are more demanding these days and so kids do not or can not work while doing one or both of those

kc2006
08-14-2006, 08:54 PM
I was talking about this with a new client I picked up the other day. She was saying how you really don't see kids out anymore cutting lawns, which I never see a kid out pushing a mower to a different house. I know when I was younger my parents didn't want me to do it for fear of sue happy people.

Heck even when it comes to starting an actual business theres not many young guys. I'm about the youngest guy around here with a business. It seems like mostly guys in their late 20's to mid 30's are getting into this business the most, and alot of them already had successful businesses that they sold off to start a lawncare business.