PDA

View Full Version : Need a trailer!

nmartin29
05-17-2010, 03:12 AM
Hello All!
I'm looking for some help! I'm just starting out and most of my jobs have been handled with a push mower. I scored a really good job mowing a guy's rental properties the other day. Unfortunately its alot more grass than my push mower can handle (or that i'm willing to walk!). I have a 54" john deere that I will use but i dont have a trailer large enough to tow it. I just dont have the funds to buy a larger one outright. Now before you go raggin' on me for commiting to a job without the right equipment, I thought I found a decent trailer the other day, the price was right and it was just about the right size, but he guy sold it before I could get there. I've learned my lesson.:o Can anybody help? :confused:I'm willing to borrow, make payments, etc. I just cant quite afford to buy one outright at this point.

Thanks in advance!

Nate
Geneva,NY

Steve's Lawn Care
05-17-2010, 07:44 AM
Well theres about 1 million trailer makers out there so U should be able to find something that fits U. but U really do have to watch out because some are better than others. I would never ever buy a trailer from Lowes or Tractor Supply. A friend of mine bought a lowes brand trailer and after a year of use it was pretty much shot. Good job on getting your first big job. When i was starting my business it seemed like every new account i took on was to big lol so i just had to keep growing. What size trailer are U thinking to buy?

Steve
05-17-2010, 12:46 PM
Have you checked craigslist for some local used trailers?

MountainViewGreenskeeper
05-17-2010, 05:19 PM
look into uhaul to rent if you cnt buy, plus they sale a few of their trailers for descent prices.

mark123
05-17-2010, 06:49 PM
Have you checked craigslist for some local used trailers?
I've noticed in my area it seems that used ones go for about the same as a new one. May as well buy a new one, eh?

akessinger84
05-17-2010, 08:39 PM
I would never ever buy a trailer from Lowes or Tractor Supply.

Any trailer you get will last as long as you take care of it. I bought one of those 4X8 "kit" trailers from menards in 2002. Hauled everything I can think of on it, Tractors, Trash, Gravel, (I had four foot sides on it). Did regular service to the trailer like packing the wheel bearing, giving the underside a fresh coat of paint and it was still working like a new one last year when I sold it and upgraded to a new 7X16 enclosed which I bought at Lowes

nmartin29
05-17-2010, 09:23 PM
Thanks for all the help guys. I was hoping to find a 6x10 but I was able to find an older 6x8 on craigslist today. It appears to have been taken care of over the years. It'll do for now!

The Cleaning Doctor
05-17-2010, 10:06 PM
Here is a place with some really good pricing and they custom build each one with the options that you want.

http://www.trailershowroom.com/landscapeutility.htm

Little's
05-18-2010, 12:55 AM
When I first started, I took every job I couldnt handle. Its what got me where I am today. It gives you motivation to grow. If I didnt know how to do it, I would take the job and do research before I started to make sure I was doing it right. Last summer I took on a 10 acre brush clearing job, while I still had all my lawn accounts. The job took 17 days with 3 of us. I would work the full day then head out and do my lawns. Made for long days, but I was charging $800 per day, so it was well worth it!
I didnt know how I was going to do it, but I dont turn anything down. I just went for it. The customers were super happy with the work.

nmartin29
05-18-2010, 03:37 AM
When I first started, I took every job I couldnt handle. Its what got me where I am today. It gives you motivation to grow. If I didnt know how to do it, I would take the job and do research before I started to make sure I was doing it right. Last summer I took on a 10 acre brush clearing job, while I still had all my lawn accounts. The job took 17 days with 3 of us. I would work the full day then head out and do my lawns. Made for long days, but I was charging $800 per day, so it was well worth it!
I didnt know how I was going to do it, but I dont turn anything down. I just went for it. The customers were super happy with the work.

I havent gone in completely blind (I worked for the state parks for 5 years) but I have taken a much similar approach to my jobs.

Steve
05-18-2010, 02:01 PM
I havent gone in completely blind (I worked for the state parks for 5 years) but I have taken a much similar approach to my jobs.

Hi Nate,

How do you feel the time spent working for the state parks has helped you?

jasonw
05-19-2010, 02:21 PM
Hello All!
I'm looking for some help! I'm just starting out and most of my jobs have been handled with a push mower. I scored a really good job mowing a guy's rental properties the other day. Unfortunately its alot more grass than my push mower can handle (or that i'm willing to walk!). I have a 54" john deere that I will use but i dont have a trailer large enough to tow it. I just dont have the funds to buy a larger one outright. Now before you go raggin' on me for commiting to a job without the right equipment, I thought I found a decent trailer the other day, the price was right and it was just about the right size, but he guy sold it before I could get there. I've learned my lesson.:o Can anybody help? :confused:I'm willing to borrow, make payments, etc. I just cant quite afford to buy one outright at this point.

Thanks in advance!

Nate
Geneva,NY

Northern tool had a 5X8 tilt bed on there website for a few hundred bucks not long ago. I use a lowes trailer now that went from a utility to a boat to a lawn care trailer. Its 9 years old and I have yet to change a tire or have a problems with it.

nmartin29
05-20-2010, 03:10 PM
Hi Nate,

How do you feel the time spent working for the state parks has helped you?

When i worked for the parks we mowed all summer, then in the winter we tore apart our mowers or we were out with chain saws. So, I learned no t only how to mow, cut, etc. properly but i also learned to maintain my equipment,:D

nmartin29
05-20-2010, 03:11 PM
Northern tool had a 5X8 tilt bed on there website for a few hundred bucks not long ago. I use a lowes trailer now that went from a utility to a boat to a lawn care trailer. Its 9 years old and I have yet to change a tire or have a problems with it.

Thanks, I was able to find an older 6x8 tilt trailer pretty cheap. it needs a little rehab but its nothing major.