PDA

View Full Version : Home Made Weed control.

mburse1977
05-16-2010, 08:22 PM
Thought this would make a nice topic and get some input on the idea. I have looked over the internet on weed control and there are some at home ideas on making your own products to control weeds is there any one out there that have tried any of these.

Bleach Cheaper the better kills anything that lives.This is a great way to kill weeds and grass in areas under a house some where it would be hard to get to with any thing and it works.

Down falls it will discolor any thing it gets on so you can only use it where you will not care about the look of what it torches.

Vinegar: It kills most anything by taking out the moisture out of the plant.

Down fall it kill all most anything good are bad and may make the soil unable to plaint for a while.

Soap: Same As vinegar but it helps get the weeds that vinegar will not by helping the vinegar stick to the plant.

Dawn Falls same as vinegar as its added to this are others that work the same.

Salt: Need more info

Juices from most fruits like lemons are oranges: Same as vinegar with all the down falls.

Any one have there own too add and any thoughts on what they do looking for one that will kill weeds and not the grass thought this is a great topic to talk about so lets see what every one has to say.

swstout
05-16-2010, 11:27 PM
Thought this would make a nice topic and get some input on the idea. I have looked over the internet on weed control and there are some at home ideas on making your own products to control weeds is there any one out there that have tried any of these.

Bleach Cheaper the better kills anything that lives.This is a great way to kill weeds and grass in areas under a house some where it would be hard to get to with any thing and it works.

Down falls it will discolor any thing it gets on so you can only use it where you will not care about the look of what it torches.

Vinegar: It kills most anything by taking out the moisture out of the plant.

Down fall it kill all most anything good are bad and may make the soil unable to plaint for a while.

Soap: Same As vinegar but it helps get the weeds that vinegar will not by helping the vinegar stick to the plant.

Dawn Falls same as vinegar as its added to this are others that work the same.

Salt: Need more info

Juices from most fruits like lemons are oranges: Same as vinegar with all the down falls.

Any one have there own too add and any thoughts on what they do looking for one that will kill weeds and not the grass thought this is a great topic to talk about so lets see what every one has to say.

Bleach - I had a job where the woman cleaned everything with chlorox but was afraid to dump it down the drain and into her septic tank. When the new owners tried to plant in the areas around her front porch, nothing would grow. I had to dig out about 12 x 6 x 4 and eplace the dirt before I hit a pH of about 7.0.

Vinegar and citric juices - kills of the leaves but doesn't touch the roots.

Salt - the only grass that tolerates salt is St. Augustine.

Weed control - most broadleaf weeds require full sun and a pH above 7.0. A pH of 6.3 is fine for all grasses but St. Augustine (7.3 ideal) and Centipede (5.1 ideal). Sulfur and Iron both lower pH and green up grass. Iron also kills off Moss. Make the soil to favor grass and discourage weeds. Mow a little higher so that the grass shades the weeds and adjust the pH. I use liquid iron and sulfur. Care needs to be used when applying the liquid iron as it stains masonry. I use a backpack sprayer near sidewalks etc. and my tow behind for open areas.

Steve