PDA

View Full Version : 2,4d work or not work

pro.turfpm
05-15-2010, 11:05 PM
i have a couple buddys that farm and a couple of them use 2,4d for their hay fields and what not to kill the weeds off. i did a test with 2,4d liquid in a 25 gallon sprayer that i built on my mower. i sprayed last week and the only thing that i noticed is that the dandelions died off. the ground ivy, clover, and other weeds have not died off yet. i do know that 2,4d is safe for grass, and you can use as much of that as you want and it wont kill the grass. does anyone know how long it takes to have full affect on killing weeds off in lawns or does it just tackle killing dandelions. and does anyone know the measurements for 2,4d per gallon? i used 8 ounces and 4 ounces of a sticker for a 25 gallon tank, i went really slow through out the lawn making sure it coated the grass well to have affect on weeds. the measurement doesn't seem right, seems to less for that much water. i heard to use 4 ounces for the 25 gallon sprayer and 16 ounces for the 25 gallon sprayer. i don't know measurement is right. does more 2,4d have a better affect on killing the weeds? does the weather temperature have place a role in it? the temperature was in the 60's when i sprayed and didnt rain for 3 days after i sprayed. the stuff is pretty cheap so i figured id try it to save myself money and to earn more money. i know using a product like momentum from lesco (john deere landscapes) works well but its pricey.

if anyone has any answers you can also email me at pro.turfpm@yahoo.com

thanks,
Derek
owner Pro-Turf Property Management

The Cleaning Doctor
05-16-2010, 07:14 AM
Easy answer

Look at the label or call the manufacturer.

picframer
05-16-2010, 06:18 PM
Check you local rules and regulations, if a lawn care company were to be cought using this in our city it would be game over and no they do not offer a license to use it, we are chemical free, however here is a good sheet I found that will answer your questions:

http://ohioline.osu.edu/agf-fact/0402.html

pro.turfpm
05-16-2010, 10:20 PM
thanks Andy for the help i appreciate it. do ya'll just use organic stuff for fertilizing?

Derek

swstout
05-16-2010, 10:33 PM
thanks Andy for the help i appreciate it. do ya'll just use organic stuff for fertilizing?

Derek

I use total natural products. Organic fertilizers, organic and biological (nematodes) insect control, cultural and organic weed control and elemental (iron, sulfur, lime) for soil treatments.

Steve

picframer
05-17-2010, 04:35 AM

Derek

Everything although we have no choice due to very strict laws, almost all of our spraying is on lawns where the customer has a well. I use Natures Lawn Care products and Environmental Factor.

pro.turfpm
05-17-2010, 08:37 AM
Steve in your area, do they have strict laws about chemical fertilizers? if not im assuming you have used chemical fertilizer. how well does the organic fert work compared to chemical fert? does each one have its pros and cons compared to each other? ive had a couple customers ask me about using organic fertilizer but ive never really looked into using it. ive seen houses that use and their yard is green but full of dandelions. looks like s***!!!

kdexpd
05-17-2010, 12:34 PM
I use 2-4-D regularly during the spring and early summer to control dandelions and clovers. The reason I like it is because it's affordable and it won't harm grasses. The only draw back to it is it does take a while to see good results. The dandelions are the first to weep over, and then the clover will begin to get brown spots. Weather plays a big part in how effective the time frame is though. You'll need to apply it when it's at least 65-70 degrees and no chances of rain for at least 2-3 days. I have found that results are slow, usually around 7-9 days, and if the target weeds are thick, you'll need to apply a second round about 10 days after the first. It is slow, however I use it because I know that no matter what happens, I won't risk damaging or even destroying the customer's lawn. I have had great results, but I always tell the customer that a beautiful lawn doesn't happen overnight, and not to expect miraculous results the first time.