PDA

View Full Version : How to mow steep incline??

markty
05-15-2010, 09:19 AM
Was contacted to give a quote on a large amount of mowing/trimming on a commercial property. I estimate around 45000 sq. feet of mowing. The building is set into a bank/hill, so on either side the grass is on a bank that is very steep. More than 45 degrees. The bank is about 2500 sq feet on both sides. So 5000 sq feet total.

What is the best approach in mowing this? Any thoughts on an acceptable quote? I don't want to underbid. This same developer is also creating another property next door that will need mowing later this summer. I want both:)

Thanks
Mark Lowe
Grasshopper's Lawn Care
Nova Scotia, Canada

Steve
05-15-2010, 02:51 PM
What kind of mower would you be using to mow this steep hill section?

picframer
05-15-2010, 04:27 PM
JD X749 all wheel drive and all wheel steer with HPAP tires, no issues at all, we mow Cat 3 septic system as steel or steeper and have never had an issue. As for quote I would have to see it but somewhere around $190 a week is what we get for a lawn that size.

markty
05-16-2010, 08:58 AM
Yes what kind of mower?? I just started up this year remember ,so have just been doing residential mowing on my own with a self propelled push mower:)(HONDA)

So I am in NO position to get an expensive tractor etc to be able to do this. I thought tractors etc were not to be used on inclines of more than a certain angle.

If there is any more advice it would be great.

Thanks Andy. Actually that bid is close to what I came up with using the awesome calculators on this site:)

Mark Lowe
Grasshopper's Lawn Care
Bridgewater, NS, Canada

picframer
05-16-2010, 05:29 PM
Yes what kind of mower?? I just started up this year remember ,so have just been doing residential mowing on my own with a self propelled push mower:)(HONDA)

So I am in NO position to get an expensive tractor etc to be able to do this. I thought tractors etc were not to be used on inclines of more than a certain angle.

If there is any more advice it would be great.

Thanks Andy. Actually that bid is close to what I came up with using the awesome calculators on this site:)

Mark Lowe
Grasshopper's Lawn Care
Bridgewater, NS, Canada

Depends on the tractor, I sold our ZTR's and replaced them with the X749's as they do everything a ZTR does and a ton more, they will also do inclines where a ZTR would not even think about going, wet or dry.

That is a big lot to do by hand and I am not sure if the walk behind units would even do it.

Steve
05-17-2010, 12:16 PM
Andy, whats better on inclines, side to side or up and down?

cklandscapingorlando
05-17-2010, 04:31 PM
I mow steep hills from the bottom to the top at an angle. Mow up and back down. Or I use my 36 walk behind. Drop the air pressure a bit and mow sideways. Or I line trim it

markty
05-17-2010, 05:22 PM
Great advice. On an angle. I like that. This incline is right beside the building ( a large new drug store) and there are curbs and sidewalks to take into consideration. I would be getting someone to help me on this job if I get it. I'll let you know.

Thanks,

Mark Lowe
Grasshopper's Lawn Care
Bridgewater, NS, Canada

picframer
05-17-2010, 07:36 PM
Andy, whats better on inclines, side to side or up and down?

Always up and down, you loose a lot of stability side to side no matter what you are driving.