PDA

View Full Version : Changing a timer?

jasonw
05-15-2010, 01:34 AM
Ok so I need to replace a timer next week. I quote 2 hours plus cost. I have never done this before. Is 2 hours plenty of time for this?

Steve
05-15-2010, 02:44 PM
I am guessing this is a hard wired irrigation timer? Did you get a replacement? Have you played around with it to see how it works and what it will take to replace it?

Little's
05-15-2010, 05:42 PM
If its a plug in type. Should take about 15 minutes. Assuming you are replacing one, all the wires are already there. If you are replacing a hardwire, then 1/2 hour or so.

MountainViewGreenskeeper
05-16-2010, 12:20 AM
Ok so I need to replace a timer next week. I quote 2 hours plus cost. I have never done this before. Is 2 hours plenty of time for this?

should be as long as your nt running any new wire

jasonw
05-16-2010, 01:32 AM
I'm replacing an existing timer. I am fairly sure it is hardwired. I talked to the folks at lowes where I got the new one and they concur with everyone that it should take no more than 45 minutes. Not bad for $150 I guess.

mburse1977
05-16-2010, 01:42 AM
Sounds like you made out great on that one. Lots of profit little man power always works for me lol.

jasonw
05-16-2010, 09:20 AM
Sounds like you made out great on that one. Lots of profit little man power always works for me lol.

I do feel bad though for charging so much. I am an honest person so when the billing is done I will probably apply a credit. I would $hit if someone charged me $300 per hour for yard work lol.

MountainViewGreenskeeper
05-16-2010, 10:50 PM
lol good man. It will come back to you some how if you didnt karma can b a B&%@$ !

Little's
05-16-2010, 11:25 PM
Thats great. I usually charge the price of the timer plus $75 for doing a replacement. Its different though if you need to do a new install.

jasonw
05-17-2010, 01:24 AM
Thats great. I usually charge the price of the timer plus $75 for doing a replacement. Its different though if you need to do a new install.

Thats what I did 35 per hour but I never did it before so I quoted 2 hours. Unfortunately they already paid and instead of the $80 timer I found one for $20 that will suffice. This is the reason I rather people pay when the work is done.

Steve
05-17-2010, 12:35 PM
Are they gonna be there keeping track of how long you are onsite? How are you gonna handle this?

jasonw
05-17-2010, 04:26 PM
Are they gonna be there keeping track of how long you are onsite? How are you gonna handle this?
I handle my hours when I work hourly and then bill accordingly.

Steve
05-18-2010, 01:54 PM
I bet a lot of forum members run into situations at times just like this where they over estimate the time for a job.

It makes you wonder, if you do this, should you just roll with it or should you go back to the client and say, I think I over charged this a bit and I am going to only charge you this instead?

jasonw
05-19-2010, 02:07 PM
I bet a lot of forum members run into situations at times just like this where they over estimate the time for a job.

It makes you wonder, if you do this, should you just roll with it or should you go back to the client and say, I think I over charged this a bit and I am going to only charge you this instead?

Unfortunately I could not change the timer. I went to do it and realized the current timer is built into the box. For sure an amature mistake. I should have noticed this before. Now I have to go buy a new box before I can install the new timer. I already told them more than likely they will be getting money back but sense they are about $120 behind on there bill they said just to apply it to that.

Steve
05-19-2010, 06:49 PM
Do you have a picture of what the situation is and how you are going about fixing it? I'd love to see.

jasonw
05-20-2010, 01:35 AM
Do you have a picture of what the situation is and how you are going about fixing it? I'd love to see.

I dont but I will get some when I get it done. If nothing ells it will help others not to make the same mistake.