PDA

View Full Version : Newbie in need of a rider HELP!

CalebC
05-10-2010, 06:11 PM
My name is Caleb and I have been looking for a ride mower times are tough got a lot of customers so I need a rider to get it done faster please answer my question this is crushing!:eek:

jklawncare
05-10-2010, 06:32 PM
rider as in zero turn?

Norcal
05-10-2010, 07:32 PM
Hey Bud I live in Nor Cal as well I to would like a rider any rider the only problem I have is I can't use it on every job only a hand full and I usually only buy equipment for all the jobs not a few however I know in this buisiness time is money and it takes a long time to do even a 1/2 acer with a 21" walk behind my suggetion find a good used one at a local box strore returnes usually go for half of the original asking price. Save around 4% of your gross take hame and then buy the one that best fits your needs and has a commercial warranty I see alot of guys using small john deer a120-115 Vally truck usually has a good selection also on used people either upgrade or downgrade all the time there is one in Woodland and Yuba city I think Calusa.
I hope this helps .

Mac Leonards Lawn Maint.

CalebC
05-12-2010, 05:11 PM
Well I was looking fr just a small thing no a zero turn...

JP Landscaping
05-12-2010, 10:31 PM
i recently bought a 36" walk behind mower with a sulky that attaches to it. It's a seat on wheels with a base for your feet to rest on; so it basically turns into a riding mower. or if you choose you can stand on it. But either way it pulls you behind.

Plus the machine is as fast as a Zturn. Since it's only a 36", you can fit it thru all 42" gates. It's also lighter than a Zturn.

I think this is the next step up from the 21" walk behind. It's really versitile because you can also use it on steep hills where a Zturn mower wouldn't work. In addition, it's cheaper and it has Zero turn capabilities. they will turn on a dime just like the Zturns.

Hope it helps.

TeamDynamic
05-12-2010, 11:36 PM
Well I was looking fr just a small thing no a zero turn...

How many accounts do you have?

Go to craigslist and look for a commercial walk behind. Some good brands are exmark, gravely, toro, and bobcat(just off the top of my head). A riding mower like you are thinking of is geared towards a homeowner that only cuts his lawn once a week, not a contractor that does 30-50 lawns in a day. A commercial mower may seem expensive now, but it will make you thousands in the long run.

mburse1977
05-12-2010, 11:42 PM
A good used walk behind in cregslist will cost from 800 to 1200 depending on how old it is so like they said go look and do not buy at box store if they find out you used it for cutting lawns for a living it voids the warranty and using it for them you will be back there in a week returning it there junk for the business And less you take it slow and easy but that defeats the purpose.

jklawncare
05-12-2010, 11:44 PM
I agree with team dynamic

HOWEVER

if your in the stage i am i dont have enough for a new commercial and i want something temporary.. I would go on craigslist and look for a lawn and garden tractor or if possible a z turn or walk behind that is cheap.

BUT

make sure they let you try it out..and dont mess around with it.. check the deck..start it up and just listen to how it sounds.. if it runs high and low there some temporary or sometimes more permanent problems.. does it look abused?

how long are you looking into using it?
can you spare using it on small lawns and use it exclusively for larger ones?

theres tons of things to consider especially if you are planning on sticking with it for maybe the entire season maybe two..if it has an hour meter on it..look up hour times and whats good and bad before you make a decision..dont rush into anything yet..

CalebC
05-13-2010, 05:26 PM
Sweet thanks tell me what its called so I can check it out thanks this should help a bunch!:)

gregn67
05-14-2010, 02:43 AM
Don't mess with a rider. Get a good commercial walk behind from 36" to 48" preferrably a hydro. You can find a used as cheap as $1500 and maybe up to 2,000. But it beats spending 1,000 on a rider only to realize you need something better.

I agree with the poster that said don't buy it at box store. Commercial wb's are cheap and versatile. IMO a better starter than a z turn.

CalebC
05-14-2010, 06:34 PM
Well I'm not what your thinking... yet I'm thirteen and don't mow my lawn and a couple other peoples but would like something bigger than a twenty two inch push mower but thanks anyways.