PDA

View Full Version : Today's Project

picframer
05-09-2010, 05:24 PM
I don't think I have posted an image of our Dodge Truck, we bought this late last year to pull the bigger excavators (have to get it lettered), it has a 5.7 Litre Hemi, 390 H.P., amazing power and lots of room for 5 staff.

Being mothers day I gave the staff the day off and headed to the ocean for a 9 week excavation project, we have to cut the dead trees from 13 acres of land, that will take 6 employees the rest of the summer, two chippers, two saws and two feeding. I started today by hauling large trees that have blown down over the bank, it doesn't look like it but this is a 90 foot drop off, next I will cut a road into the bank to drive down, then I have to build a retaining wall that is close to a mile long.

Once this is done we are building a Flagstone firepit in bround with a pad and walkway, image below also.

Was kind of nice working by myself although it would have went faster with a helper as I had to keep climping down the bank to hook the 100 foot chain onto trees, I am using 3/8" chain, OMG is it heavy.

jklawncare
05-09-2010, 08:23 PM
sounds like fun :D

that fire pit looks beautiful

picframer
05-10-2010, 03:38 AM
sounds like fun :D

that fire pit looks beautiful

It was fun yesterday pulling the logs up over the hill, I had tried a 2,500 pound winch that I have on an ATV but it would not move the stuff as it's so big and whomever cut the trees didn't know what they were doing which is making it hard going.

We have only done three flagstone projects in the past, it's so expensive most simply can't afford it, very, very time consuming to lay.

mzlawncare
05-10-2010, 06:14 AM
Andy, Nice firepit area. What size excavator do you have It Looks like a 35d.

Steve
05-10-2010, 02:29 PM
Andy,

That looks like a lot of work!

How much should the home owner be worried about erosion when they remove trees from the slope like that?

picframer
05-10-2010, 04:23 PM
Andy, Nice firepit area. What size excavator do you have It Looks like a 35d.

We have a 17D, 27D, 35D and a 60D, the one in the image is a 27D. They are amazing quality, we have quick attach buckets including landscaping buckets up to 4 feet wide, Augers for the17, 27 & 35, the 35 and 60 have angle blades.

picframer
05-10-2010, 04:28 PM
Andy,

That looks like a lot of work!

How much should the home owner be worried about erosion when they remove trees from the slope like that?

None, the trees are down and dead, we are building a rock retaining wall like this, all in all this is a sixty thousand dollar project...+ but when I get to 60 they may wait and have us finish next year or the fall.

Steve
05-11-2010, 02:39 PM
WoW! That is going to look cool!

How does building a rock retaining wall like that differ in the way it is created to a railroad tie retaining wall? What anchors it into the side of the hill?

picframer
05-11-2010, 05:26 PM
WoW! That is going to look cool!

How does building a rock retaining wall like that differ in the way it is created to a railroad tie retaining wall? What anchors it into the side of the hill?

It is illegial to use railway ties on any property in Canada, now the homeowner might get away with it but if by-law enforcement drives by, it has to be removed, if you don't do it they will and the bill will be on your next property tax bill.

I will use rock ranging from 2,000 to 8,000 pounds, it will never move.

mzlawncare
05-11-2010, 07:11 PM
My dad has a Kubota kx 121-3S . Open canopy . It also has a hydrolic thumb .all of the =buckets we have are quik tach buckets . He also has a John Deere 4475 skid steer .

Steve
05-12-2010, 02:43 PM
It is illegial to use railway ties on any property in Canada

Really? What was the reasoning behind that?

picframer
05-12-2010, 07:11 PM
Really? What was the reasoning behind that?

RR ties are full of harmful chemicals, most RR has been removed in Canada, Canada has the largest supply of fresh water in the world, the majority of our clients are on wells also, thus no herbicides or pesticides spraying is allowed and the fines are severe.