PDA

View Full Version : When Going To Estimate....

gonecountry
05-07-2010, 07:20 PM
This is my second year in lawn care and just now getting serious about doing this for an actual living. My question is what do you wear when you go to an estimate and what time of day do you fit this into your daily schedule between doing lawns? Some people say no matter whether residential or commercial bids, you spiff your self up in a nice shirt and kahkis. Any one have insight on this topic?

DenisD
05-07-2010, 09:21 PM
This is my second year in lawn care and just now getting serious about doing this for an actual living. My question is what do you wear when you go to an estimate and what time of day do you fit this into your daily schedule between doing lawns? Some people say no matter whether residential or commercial bids, you spiff your self up in a nice shirt and kahkis. Any one have insight on this topic?

I go as soon as I can. The early bird gets the worm. I do keep a clean shirt in my truck but the customers know you cut grass for a living and they know you get dirty. I dont loose many I go after even if I have been mowing all day. Showing them that they are important enough foy you to go rite away makes them feel good and in most cases gets you the job.

JP Landscaping
05-07-2010, 09:42 PM
I agree. Get there as soon as you can.
as far as wear.... I wear blue dickies work pants and a company shirt (basically a white shirt with my logo on it), black shoes, and white company hat. I think it makes you look more professional dressed in "uniform". I also always keep an extra shirt in my truck just in case.

StartALawnCareBusiness
05-07-2010, 10:09 PM
No matter what you wear, have your equipment with you and be ready to work. I have found that most customers who call for an estimate are ready to have the work performed that day.

Your ability to perform the work immediately is extra incentive for them to sign with you and have you get started right away.

Keith

Little's
05-09-2010, 01:14 AM
Keith is absolutely correct.
My daily wear is nice enough that I dont need to worry about changing for them. My opinion is that they would like to see you ready to go.

gonecountry
05-09-2010, 08:29 AM
So it is not necessarily required the potential client to be at home at the time of estimate, as long as they tell you where to leave it, because a lot of people are not going to be home during the morning.

CHEESE2009
05-09-2010, 11:11 AM
Honestly, wearing my dirty work shirt going to give an estimate has helped me.

New customers have said, "Looks like you've been working hard"

I can then say, "I don't stop!"

They are hiring you to cut grass, look like you cut grass!

Sometimes a little grass on your face can help ;)

I suppose what you wear can have different effects on people. One thing is for sure, having your gear with you looks great - especially if your vehicle has magnets.

If you show up without gear, or magnets... while dressing spiffy... You just look phony.

jklawncare
05-09-2010, 01:46 PM
i completely agree with scott..for some reason..people always call while im on a job and leave a voicemail

i then call them back saying sorry i was working on a yard how can i help you blah blah blah i need an estimate
no problem ill be right over

show up in dirty boots pants and shirt and they have ALWAYS said wow..looks like youve been working..

Im so excited for the vinyl on my truck..ill stand out so much more than the door magnets..im a driving bilboard on all four sides

gonecountry
05-09-2010, 07:44 PM
What do you guys think of this estimate form while on the subject, it was a template off from this site but modified it extensivly.