PDA

View Full Version : Charging for double cuts?

jerreber
05-07-2010, 02:35 AM
Whats your take on this? I've been thinking of adding at least a 50% charge for double cutting during the spring if a customer is unhappy with clumps on the grass during spring. I do this with one customer and she is fine with it. If they know up front what to expect, do you think it will scare people away?

picframer
05-07-2010, 05:20 AM
Whats your take on this? I've been thinking of adding at least a 50% charge for double cutting during the spring if a customer is unhappy with clumps on the grass during spring. I do this with one customer and she is fine with it. If they know up front what to expect, do you think it will scare people away?

We never charge if staff have to go over the lawn twice, which is rare that we do.

lawn mowering
05-07-2010, 10:58 AM
I charge $5 to $20 depending on the size to bag the grass when the customer says "why a mow is amow isnt it" I tell them the extra charge is because of the time and gas and that it may only be 5 minutes on your lawn I must drive out to recycle "dispose" the grass. after I say that people compleatly understand infact I have only got people saying that is a good deal. use the spring to your advantage offer bagging if they still want in double mulch I would charge them twice if you order 2 large pizzas from a pizza place because 1 isnt enough they dont give you 1/2 off without a coupon or promotion. but if you want extra toppings its not as expensive as another pizza. same with mowing add Bagging $5, double mow double price.

StartALawnCareBusiness
05-07-2010, 11:18 AM
You are lucky to have a customer willing to pay extra for double cuts. I think most customers want a price for a completed job and not be surprised with a double cut surcharge.

Your initial estimate (and scheduling) should take into account the possibility of heavy growth during springtime.

Weekly mowing is vital during spring for most lawns. If a customer wants you to mow less than weekly and that is causing the grass to clump, you should price the job with the knowledge that you may have to double cut during heavy growth times.

Use this as a selling point to get them on a weekly schedule.

Steve
05-07-2010, 04:29 PM
Is there a change he could be making with his blades to avoid the clumping?

Whats your take on this? I've been thinking of adding at least a 50% charge for double cutting during the spring if a customer is unhappy with clumps on the grass during spring.

Is this for weekly customers or bi weekly? Or does it not matter?

jklawncare
05-07-2010, 04:33 PM
I charge a lady 40 for her and her 93 year old mothers lawn..(live side by side)
i had to mow it twice and i wasnt going to charge her but she handed me a check with 80 and i told her it wasnt necessary she said oh yes it is thank you so much

I think id charge half to go back over the lawn if you do charge for it..

CHEESE2009
05-08-2010, 12:31 AM
I triple cut my lawns this Spring. Just can't avoid it.

We started the first Monday of May... Should have started in April.

Though once it's all been cut down, it's a walk in the park throughout the season.

I don't mind taking a little bit of extra time on a lawn, if I know I'll be able to manage all of my lawns within the day.

If I work 8-5 this week, I'll most likely be working 8-3 next week. It just gets easier.

I don't bother raising my prices for different cuts, that's just frustrating for everyone including myself.

With all of my customers, I know who owes me what. I don't need papers to remind me anymore.

Got 3 more customers today.

One from last year, who is deciding not to sell her house.

One of my current clients neighbors.

And a couple who live a block away.

Wednesdays are just getting more difficult :P hahaha!!!

Wednesdays = My area