PDA

View Full Version : Hiring question

vovka86
05-06-2010, 04:34 PM
Hi I am not new to the forum, I have lurked for a while but never posted. Now I have a question that I don't think was discussed in detail on the forum.
I always took care of my account myself or had my dad or friends help me. Now I am looking to hire some help but not sure what I need. I am aware that I will need a work comp & I have insurance, but do I need my employee to sign anything like a non-compete clause. I am not worried of anyone going to work for themselves but would hate to have my employee try to take over my accounts.

picframer
05-06-2010, 05:00 PM
Hi I am not new to the forum, I have lurked for a while but never posted. Now I have a question that I don't think was discussed in detail on the forum.
I always took care of my account myself or had my dad or friends help me. Now I am looking to hire some help but not sure what I need. I am aware that I will need a work comp & I have insurance, but do I need my employee to sign anything like a non-compete clause. I am not worried of anyone going to work for themselves but would hate to have my employee try to take over my accounts.

No Compete's will not hold up in court if the former employee or the seller of a company made a living at whatever.....seen it dozen's of times when I worked at the bank, I don't have employees sign anything other than for safety gear I give them, have 17 staff at the moment

vovka86
05-06-2010, 10:08 PM
Is there anything that I can get them to sign so they can't go after my accounts?

Andy what kind of safety gear do they get? and what does the form look like?

Do I need anything else to hire an employee?

The Cleaning Doctor
05-06-2010, 11:09 PM
You need to get an EIN from the feds.

vovka86
05-07-2010, 02:35 AM
EIN I had to get before hiring.

One thing that scares me is that employee will go behind my back to my customers. I want to know if there is anything that can protect me from that?

picframer
05-07-2010, 04:18 AM
Is there anything that I can get them to sign so they can't go after my accounts?

Andy what kind of safety gear do they get? and what does the form look like?

Do I need anything else to hire an employee?

Every employee has to wear CSA approved workboots, if they do not have them or can't afford them then I buy Stihl Landscape boots and take the cost off the first pay.

Tree cutting staff have to wear chainsaw pants, I supply them and ask that they be returned at the end of the season.

For safety and the workers comp rules, I am fine for everything else we do.

Steve
05-07-2010, 01:17 PM
Why not get them to sign a simple employment agreement that says they agree to not work for your current customers for a certain period of time?

If it doesn't hold up in court, at least the employee will think twice before doing anything sneaky once they sign it.

Check out this employment contract and maybe alter it to fit your needs.

http://www.ilrg.com/forms/employmt.html

vovka86
05-09-2010, 09:47 PM
Thank you Steve

Link is great, I can tweak on of the forms to work for me. Discouraging is much better then having nothing at all.

Did anything like that happen to anyone on here. After employee quite or was fired, went behind your back to your customers?

mburse1977
05-09-2010, 09:57 PM
When i did drain cleaning my boss made me sign a Contract that said i could not go in business for my self for three years after leaving. I was sure it was complete bs but in that type of work was so comparative there was no way one could start up a new business and Get any clients as people only call if there is a problem and if your not in the yellow pages forget about it.Having them sign it could not hurt but most will know its bs.As Far as stealing clients the only way they could do this is to under cut you and they would not be in business long working for nothing just makes no since.

Steve
05-10-2010, 02:15 PM
Link is great, I can tweak on of the forms to work for me.

I'd love to see what you come up with when you are finished editing it.

When i did drain cleaning my boss made me sign a Contract that said i could not go in business for my self for three years after leaving.

Do you feel it would be a great service to still offer your clients or no?

mburse1977
05-10-2010, 11:14 PM
If i have enough capital to get the 10,000 dollars worth of start up equipment i may start that for the off season the money is good Was one of the things i wanted to do but lawn care allows me to build my client list tell i can get enough going to quit my day job.

The plain is to get this built up to 50,000 a year and then hire mangers and crews to expand into other parts of the business and get out of the field. And i can do that to help have work for my crews in the off season i know i can get contracts with lots of commercial propriety in the area and fast food joints just something to make some money in the off season are hell even year round if it takes off. But one thing at a time started this with used equipment and im regretting that quick even though it was commercial still used and breaking down so many don't s and i seem to be hitting them all one at a time lol.

Steve
05-11-2010, 03:06 PM
i know i can get contracts with lots of commercial propriety in the area and fast food joints just something to make some money in the off season

What have you found to be the best way to get such customers to sign up on contracts?

Would this be for lawn care only or for sewer service as well?

mburse1977
05-11-2010, 11:17 PM
I was thinking on the sewer end. Down here the ground sinks so much drains break easy and they do not like spending the money it takes to fix them. in the 1000 to 10,000 so paying some one the clean them once a month for 60 to 70 works. And they tend to pay there bills so this is a great easy business to get into just need so capital to get the proper equipment. Right now i got more ideas than money so when i get there i will think about it i like Being my own boss. And being able to offer others some nice income with out havering to have much knowledge just some good trainings sounds like a good plain.

This will probably split the company if i do it into two parts but if and when i get a crew i will not have to lay them off for the winter cause drain clog faster in the winter the grease gets hard so it sounds like it wound make a nice add on.

Steve
05-12-2010, 02:48 PM
That sounds like a plan! You gotta keep us posted on how all this goes!

What equipment would you like to buy to get the sewer side of it up and running?

mburse1977
05-12-2010, 11:12 PM
Wound need big machine extra reel and extra cable. Small Machine and extra real three different sized cables. One Jet machine and one air clog. Like i said total cost around 10,000 for the equipment. Plus one mill in insurance would be a lot higher than lawn care as you in the home more room for error not sure if i had to guess i would say it would cost 4000 a year for the insurance.

So the total investment would be 20,000 once you through in advertising tell you get in the yellow pages you will need some tv are radio time other wise it would all be word of mouth and when it comes to that type of work dose not work as well. Every one hates the plumber we fall right under postilions and lawyers.