PDA

View Full Version : How To Build Up Clients?

QUALITYlawncare
05-05-2010, 11:18 PM
I'm 16 i live in fort smith Arkansas. I have about 6 houses that i mow every week and have about 3 that i do every 2 weeks because they are just vacant lots they owners don need the property mowed every week.

My goal with my lawn-care business was to make enough money in the summer to pay for gas and spending money during the school year. I have reached that goal and don't believe in being satisfied with one goal.

So my new goal is to have 12 houses a week to mow. I have come to this site and soaked up a lot of information and watched all the videos on marketing tips and stratagies.

I would really like to hear form some of you guys with experience. Can i hear some tips/stories/advice from some experienced or successful lawn care owners? thanks guys my names Dylan by the way and i own QUALITY LAWN-CARE SERVICES.

jklawncare
05-05-2010, 11:32 PM
Hey Dylan Whats up
what marketing have you done already to get those clients?
im 16 as well and im pulling in about 850 a month..im not exactly satisfied either..im an over achiever i guess..
anyways what i did was made 1000 door flyers
go to staples and get some colored paper
make a simple design straight to the point and put THIS IS HOW MUCH IT WOULD COST YOU FOR A BASIC MOW! and then in the box put EST 30.00 for example

I got a HUGE return on those..for some reason advertising with a price intices them..no guessing and calling for an estimate that may be too high..some houses i put 20 on and told them i had some extra people come out and they made a mistake im very sorry for the inconvenience so ill make you a deal
ill Bump your price up to 30 and throw in free trimming for you.

I got 4 houses like that on the ones where i under estimated the yard.

ALWAYS keep cards on you
take advantage of great dealers on this site for example

696 signs

Im ordering vinyl for my car and they have outstanding service so far.\

oh by the way did i mention this is my first year with houses? only 2 months in and still getting 1-2 calls a week

starting last week of june ill re-advertise plus ill have my vinyl on my truck :)

QUALITYlawncare
05-05-2010, 11:44 PM
Your the man! Im making about the same as you 205 a week plus some one time jobs or flower bed jobs. I post on craigslist and hand out flyers to about 5 houses in each direction of the houses i do. I also have called 3 or 4 realitors n my area and asked for houses that way. got a real good lady that is a realitor that has given me 2 houses and refers me to all her clients.

jklawncare
05-06-2010, 12:02 AM
i left out when you get colored paper
just get a pack of 500
print 2 door flyers on each
cut them in half (make a template to copy off otherwise theyll be crooked and ugly)
if you can give your mom or dad the file on a flash drive and have them print them at there office..costs nothing to you..

also go to walmart.com and get a hold punch i used a 1 and 1/2" hole punch from paper shaper

it was 15 i think
TRUST ME
WELL WORTH THE 15

only fits maybe 8 in at a time but just believe me theres no easier way unless you wanna pay to have them made professionaly

get avery business cards from walmart or kmart or anywhere and print them
or
vistaprint.com and get 250 of them in matte for free just add your info with one of there designs

i had over 300 worth of product in my cart once and onnly had to pay 25 for shipping

Call ALL for rent or for sale signs
talk to the person there
exspecially if it looks un maintained
houses that look like total crap
put a flyer there for sure
even the tiny houses
truth is..alot of companies have a limit to there houses..even if its 90 sq ft of lawn...there minimum is 25.00 so..why not have you pick it up for 10
but only if you can afford it and its just to bring in some income
i have a 10$ weekly house thats about 8,000 square feet..not even..its 40 a week..BUT ive already billed her over 300 in special services such as mulch jobs hedge trimming and soon ill be doing gravel laying..best decision of my life.

realtors are great..lots of people dont have the time to keep up when there moving..so if you offer it to them for cheap you got the job..i called one up said
*hi, My names justin and im with jk lawn care.
IMMEDIATLY
*"Im not interested thank you "
* Hold on one moment ma'am. I noticed you had the property on redoak ave for sale
*Thats correct but i cant afford a lawn care service right now
* Well mam your in luck because the cheapest price youll get around here is 25.00
*I know its too expensive
*Well im calling to let you know that the offer is still available in the future if your interested and it will only cost you 15.00 weekly
*Wait what?
*yes mam and since we dont require contracts you can keep us for 2 weeks until the home is sold or you can keep us for years to come its your decision.
*give me your information and ill set up a time to meet you

Best phone call ever..im sure as you can tell i ramble alot and im sorry but..its just my thing..im sure other people on this forum will agree with me.. ahahaha
if you ever need anything ill be glad to give you tips or anything but this forum is perfect for you
my email is
jklawns@gmail.com
and my website is
jklawns.webs.com

oh btw
go to webs.com and create a free website
i have it.. by june i plan on paying for an actual host but this is a great start.

Steve
05-06-2010, 01:56 PM
Welcome to our forum!

I have about 6 houses that i mow every week and have about 3 that i do every 2 weeks because they are just vacant lots they owners don need the property mowed every week.

Did you get all these clients through craigslist?

Do all of your neighbors know you are now in business? Do you hand out flyers to all your neighbors within your area?

Do you have business cards to hand out? Do your family members help you hand out cards too?

QUALITYlawncare
05-06-2010, 09:23 PM
Steve, I have gotten ALL my clients but one from Craigslist its crazy! I made a REALLY REALLY GOOD AD most guys on there say need your lawn mowed? call us now for a free estimate and thats it. Here is mine- http://fortsmith.craigslist.org/fgs/1726767607.html

QUALITY LAWN CARE SERVICE (READ THIS BEFORE YOU CHOOSE A COMPANY!) (FORTSMTIH &SOURROUNDING AREAS)

We guarantee satisfaction, Professional and Dependable service.We have a no questions asked policy "If you aren't happy with something we will fix it, no questions asked no arguing just fix it" Still aren't convinced we are the guys for you? How about references? Give Dylan a call ask him for references and you'll see why people choose us! Call Dylan and schedule now to get the best deal! We mow/mulch, edge/weed-eat, blow/sweep sidewalks....But don't most lawn cares do that? Sure they do! But do they plant flowers and bushes and teach you how to care for them so they don't die? Do they go above and beyond to make you happy? Do they offer the NO QUESTIONS ASKED POLICY? Do they base their business on honesty, hard work and attention to detail? Do they call you back as soon as they say you will? Are they nice? Do they do a good job? WE SURE DO. We will work with you on whatever you need and can workout a price that works for you. No one cant afford us! Call Dylan now or email us right away and we will be there as soon as possible to give you a FREE ESTIMATE! ASK ABOUT OUR FREE WEED KILLER AND LAWN GROWER SPRAY YOU GET FREE IF YOU SIGN UP FOR A WHOLE LAWN SEASON WITH US! Other servies offered - wead control, chemical spray, flower beds, plants, trees, shrubs, trimming. God bless and remeber QUALITY LAWN CARE SERVICE when you choose a company!

I really tried to sell myself and my business. I have gotten a great response from it. Did a flower bed job today for 115 took 3 hours the guy paid me 135 because he said i did such a good job. Now he wants me to spray for him and spread seeds for him and mow for him. IF you do a good job you definantly will see the benefits. This guy was suposed to be a one time job only and i never see him again in my life. Soon he will be a full time customer. My goal is to make 250 a week. im at 205 and am gona charge him 40 a week to mow so im basically to my goal!

jklawncare
05-06-2010, 09:30 PM
thats great to hear
do you have a partner
and how much of the money are you taking
i right now take 30% my partner takes 30% and 40% goes to the company
once we get a good hold..(1000) we plan on bumping it up to 35%35%30%

QUALITYlawncare
05-06-2010, 10:09 PM
IM all by myself and doing great i take in 100% of it all. But i do buy new blades, gas, weedeater string, flyers, etc.

jklawncare
05-06-2010, 10:27 PM
If your looking to keep this up for years to come..id reccoment splitting it.. just go 80-20 at least

that way you know youll have enough to repair or purchase new equipment etc.

But that is for you to decide..i just think it would be safer

QUALITYlawncare
05-06-2010, 10:35 PM
Ya i get what your saying, i am buying a new john deere mower at the end of the summer just because i keep all the money doesnt mean its isnt the companies but i can see how acually making 20% the business' could help thanks bro

jklawncare
05-06-2010, 10:43 PM
Yeah no problem glad to give the advice im happy theres other teens that are actually serious about this business like me..hopefully ill keep it growing enough to make a living.

QUALITYlawncare
05-07-2010, 08:00 AM
For sure, add me as a friend i dont know how, that way we can keep in touch. Good luck with everything for you brother.

gonecountry
05-07-2010, 11:54 AM
If your looking to keep this up for years to come..id reccoment splitting it.. just go 80-20 at least

that way you know youll have enough to repair or purchase new equipment etc.

But that is for you to decide..i just think it would be safer

I do 60/40, 60% company profit and 40% goes in my pocket, you have to be fair and pay yourself a little

QUALITYlawncare
05-08-2010, 09:49 AM
thanks gone country ill look into it!

jklawncare
05-08-2010, 10:07 AM
I do 60/40, 60% company profit and 40% goes in my pocket, you have to be fair and pay yourself a little

thats what i want however i have a partner that needs paid..actually im abut to start a new thread in a moment about him..