PDA

View Full Version : How Long Did It Take you

NewLeafca
05-05-2010, 09:31 PM
Well business is going great and I have had a full week. The only thing is my load and unload times are slowing me down. I still haven't figured out a way that I like to make things easy to get to in the truck. Just wondering how long did it take you to get your truck set up right? When I eventually get a trailer I will have to do it all again.

CHEESE2009
05-05-2010, 10:59 PM
This week has been seriously busy.

My trailer is covered in grass & debris.

With all the work I am doing, I have no time to put everything back in order. I just zoom to the next property.

A trailer will make your life easier. Until you decide to reverse on a busy street when school hours end & buses want to pass. lol.

The downside of a trailer seems to be the gas, my truck is awfully thirsty because of it.

picframer
05-06-2010, 04:54 AM
Well business is going great and I have had a full week. The only thing is my load and unload times are slowing me down. I still haven't figured out a way that I like to make things easy to get to in the truck. Just wondering how long did it take you to get your truck set up right? When I eventually get a trailer I will have to do it all again.

We got it right first time out of the gate, simply by reading forums like this one, looking at what others were doing, what worked well, what they didn't like, took all this into consideration and then went for it.

We offer a host of services and have trailers that are set up for specific tasks then we have two landscape trailers that are used for whatever type jobs, everything is working very well.

SECTLANDSCAPING
05-06-2010, 09:21 AM
I bought a 5x8 recently and built 4ft sides. To make a partially enclosed trailer. Well my loading times are worst. I can just carry more gear to a site at a increased gas rate. It is great for dump runs and doubles the load I can carry but like everything else it has its expenses.

A trailer will make your life easier. Until you decide to reverse on a busy street when school hours end & buses want to pass. lol.
You can go backwards? I park like I have no reverse.

NewLeafca
05-06-2010, 09:33 AM
I bought a 5x8 recently and built 4ft sides. To make a partially enclosed trailer. Well my loading times are worst. I can just carry more gear to a site at a increased gas rate. It is great for dump runs and doubles the load I can carry but like everything else it has its expenses.

I used to drive an 18 wheeler so backing is not a problem.

CHEESE2009
05-06-2010, 11:25 AM

LOL.

Well the worst is when you take the trailer off for the day & forget how to drive without it.

HAHAHAHA!!! Turn the wheel right for the trailer to go left.

Turn the wheel right for the truck to go right...

I drove on my grass today when the storm hit. Couldn't see a damn thing.

Steve
05-06-2010, 01:37 PM
The only thing is my load and unload times are slowing me down.

Do you mean at the beginning and end of the day or at each job?

NewLeafca
05-07-2010, 08:30 AM
Do you mean at the beginning and end of the day or at each job?

At each job. Things are just not in the truck right so that I can easily grab what I need. So I have to take one thing out to get to another. But it is getting easier for me now and think I am getting a system down.

Steve
05-07-2010, 03:24 PM
It does seem that using a truck alone is more difficult than having equipment on a trailer.

stew6371
05-07-2010, 10:26 PM
Do you have any pics of your set up. Oh yeah, I drive an 18 wheeler and let me tell you that backing one of these small trailers is harder than a 53 footer. I look like an idiot sometimes backing my boat in the water.

musician/lawnman
06-27-2010, 05:04 PM
Yeah te shorter the trailer the quicker it snaps around & makes you look like retard. The long trailers are easy to back into tight spots.... the short ones make you question your own intelligence.

mark123
06-27-2010, 05:24 PM
This is my second year on my own and I'm still refusing to get a trailer. I thought I may need one recently but it passed and I came to my senses. :p

JP Landscaping
06-27-2010, 10:40 PM
I wish I could have taken a picture of the set up I saw a guy with. Maybe som of you have seen this but he used one of those platforms you attach to any ball hitch receiver to any truck or SUV so you can carry luggage in the back. Then he had two push mowers on it.

so he didn't use a trailer. put the pushmowers on the luggage platform, the trimmers on the side of the truck attached to the side boards he had on the truck, and the truck was used for grass clippings like usual. That's the only setup i've seen like that one.

It seems like it would be really effecient since there is no trailer to haul and the mowers are easily and simply accessible. you would also not need extra space to park the trailer at home. And if you were really short on space, you could put the mowers in the back of your truck at the end of the day and put a tarp over it for cover. Taking the platform off is also real simple and quick. You could put that almost anywhere...simply lean it against the garage, house, etc.