PDA

View Full Version : And it begins, P.I.T.A

CHEESE2009
05-05-2010, 08:26 AM
I went out of my way to visit a client who said, "drop by any time & I'll write you a check"

I dropped by, no check. Just conversation.

I drop by another client who told me she was available to pick up a check.

I got the check, but she says, "Weren't you supposed to come Thursday"

I say, "Your grass is high priority considering the length it was at. I needed to mow it earlier not only because of the chance of rain we're supposed to be getting, but it's better for the both of us. This week is all about preparing the lawns I have, cleaning them up. If I didn't come when I did when it was dry, I'd be taking a chance with my equipment & I'd be on your property a lot longer than I can manage."

So all is fine, she's a nice lady.

A customer called me this morning,

Cust: Are you able to pass by today?

Scott: Most likely in the evening, I'm not in your area today. If you aren't home in the evening, you could write me a check & put it in your mail box.

Cust: It's not that. I can see you were here, but the job isn't good. Dandelions are everywhere.

Scott: It rained heavy the day I had you scheduled. Your lawn looks a lot better than it did & will look even better next week. When I made my visit, I had to cut your lawn down to size because it was a jungle.

Cust: But there are still dandelions.

Scott: There will always be dandelions, you should have your lawn sprayed. My mower wont catch everything with the rain, especially sense your lawn is angled. The only way I could have removed the dandelions is if I lowered my cutting height - that would make the problem worse for you & your neighbor. The best thing to do is wait until next week when it is dry.

Cust: If you have a chance come back to see.

Scott: I know what it looks like, I'll see you next week.

I had an attitude with him, as I know he is very stingy & NEVER pays on time (referring to last year)

I also busted up a mower blade on his lawn last year. There is random trash there every damn week. Bricks are scattered on the lawn, even after I had removed them several times. They sink into the lawn where I could just barely see them.

Anyway, his lawn is fast to do. It's priced lower than his neighbor who's lawn is connected to his which would make it a bummer to lose. Though personally, I don't give a damn.

I plan on dropping all my bad apples. We're either going to chit chat the entire season, or your going to pay me & enable me to trust you.

His neighbor pays double, & they didn't complain at all. "It looks great, what a good start to the season!"

Anyway, I'm off to go back out. Hope you all have a good day!:o

Steve
05-05-2010, 12:57 PM
His neighbor pays double, & they didn't complain at all. "It looks great, what a good start to the season!"

Isn't that how it goes! It makes you wonder how best to filter out the bad apples before you take them on.

angler
05-06-2010, 07:02 AM
Sounds like a guy I cut for, good luck!

Steve
05-06-2010, 02:19 PM
Sounds like a guy I cut for, good luck!

What is your view on how best to handle such customers?