PDA

View Full Version : Flyers with tearoff tabs

gonecountry
05-04-2010, 04:30 PM
Has anyone had a lot of luck with tear off flyers hung up in grocery stores, bars, party stores as opposed to going door to door and hanging them in the storm door?

mark123
05-04-2010, 06:50 PM
Zero calls. All the tabs get torn off but no calls. :shrug:

gonecountry
05-04-2010, 07:49 PM
what about newspapers? any form of advertising advice is welcome. I understand it is cheapest to obtain a few customers then build a referral system with them...I am going to hang tear off tab flyers, advertise in newspapers, and am having business cards printed up right now from a local print shop.

robgee05
05-04-2010, 07:58 PM
Zero calls. All the tabs get torn off but no calls. :shrug:

Sounds like competition playing hardball
There is a biz card Bulletin Board at my local car wash. I throw cards on it every week, and they disappear. but none of my leads seem to be coming from there. There is a Big Company on there. If my cards are missing next time his might be too LOL.

robgee05
05-04-2010, 08:05 PM
Since the grass is growing now is a good time to zero in on people that don't want to cut their lawn or lost their landscaper. We copied an idea off this biz card company we seen on line. They build rubber bands into the biz cards. we just staple the rubber bands on.( a bit time consuming, just do it while your watching tv or something) Its only 2 cents each instead of six. Since the grass is growing anytime we see a house that could use some work we attach it to their mailbox flag. They have to take it off, even to just throw it away. LOL

Steve
05-05-2010, 01:04 AM
Has anyone had a lot of luck with tear off flyers hung up in grocery stores, bars, party stores as opposed to going door to door and hanging them in the storm door?

When you do such marketing you have to ask yourself, how many potential customers are going to be visiting such stores?

Will your message be getting to homeowners and more importantly, the decision makers of those homes?

vs people living in places where they have no control or interest in their lawn care such as apartment dwellers?

We copied an idea off this biz card company we seen on line. They build rubber bands into the biz cards. we just staple the rubber bands on.

Do you have a link to that site? I'd love to see them.

gonecountry
05-05-2010, 06:53 AM
When you do such marketing you have to ask yourself, how many potential customers are going to be visiting such stores?

Well around where I live, almost every establishment has a billboard when you walk in the door. I figure, hell, all I have to do is print them off my computer, and try it. If it works, great. If not, maybe I waited to late in the season.
Will your message be getting to homeowners and more importantly, the decision makers of those homes?
That is the idea, however, it doesn't always go accordingly. Like sometimes the wife might call for an estimate because the husband has either been to lazy or busy to mow the lawn. So she calls you and you get there and the husband is already pushing the mower. Just a hypothetical situation.

vs people living in places where they have no control or interest in their lawn care such as apartment dwellers?
I live in a small town and have never seen apartments before, however there are a lot of people with vacation homes:D

robgee05
05-05-2010, 07:03 AM

Do you have a link to that site? I'd love to see them.

Yeah actually now that i think about it I saw the link on your site:

http://www.adeasprinting.com/business-cards

They are called stick it band it.

Steve
05-08-2010, 02:31 PM
That is pretty cool. Let me see if I can get their embed video to work.

http://www.adeasprinting.com/images/BC-Picture-Thumbnails.jpg

<embed src="http://www.adeasprinting.com/sites/all/modules/swftools/shared/flowplayer/FlowPlayerDark.swf?config=%7Bembedded%3Atrue%2Cbas eURL%3A%27http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eadeasprinting%2Ecom%2 Fsites%2Fall%2Fmodules%2Fswftools%2Fshared%2Fflowp layer%27%2CshowFullScreenButton%3Afalse%2Cloop%3At rue%2CautoPlay%3Atrue%2CvideoFile%3A%27http%3A%2F% 2Fwww%2Eadeasprinting%2Ecom%2Fvideos%2Fbusinesscar ds%2Eflv%27%7D" width="400" height="255" scale="noscale" bgcolor="111111" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" allowNetworking="all" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"></embed>

Jack Rabbit
05-08-2010, 09:18 PM
I made a few tear off tab fliers for bulletin boards. Haven't used them yet but maybe I'll report the results here when I do.

Stapling rubber bands to business cards sounds like a great idea.

I had an idea to do instead of tear off tabs: Make a bulletin board flier with a pocket for business cards. It will stay neat looking and the cards can easily be restocked.

http://www.jackrabbitlawncare.com

CalebC
05-10-2010, 04:53 PM
Nah bud bad idea I've tried that I havn't got any replies for it and when I cheked there weren't even any tabs taken off of the tab tearoff bulletins.

mcscapes
10-27-2010, 07:15 PM
Sounds like the rubber bands are a great idea We will have to try that in our west side shop we are having a little of a hard time getting the word out in west G.A.

justin_time
10-27-2010, 09:52 PM
That's my only way of getting tourist in my area to get me some work. Those are my target people that come to the cottage and don't want to spend the weekend doing yard work. I have got most of my calls from them

Steve
10-28-2010, 06:29 PM
Justin,

What is your view on how the best ways you have found so far to get their attention? Which method were you referring to?

jonrpatrick
03-03-2012, 08:32 PM
Here's an idea -
create your flyer/ad/postcard.
Place it in a zip-lock baggie with a few of those decorative white stones.
Throw them in driveways.
They'll stay protected, weighted down, and get noticed.
Faster than mailbox hangies or door hangars.
JP

mark123
03-03-2012, 08:52 PM
Here's an idea -
create your flyer/ad/postcard.
Place it in a zip-lock baggie with a few of those decorative white stones.
Throw them in driveways.
They'll stay protected, weighted down, and get noticed.
Faster than mailbox hangies or door hangars.
JP
No, don't. Don't litter. Don't put garbage in people's driveways or yards. Just don't. It's trashy, classless and pure, straight-up ghetto.

Not only would I make sure to NOT hire you but if you throw garbage in my yard and I'll make you miserable. MISERABLE!

willshome
03-03-2012, 09:11 PM
Wow only 20 mins. to say bad idea and add to the list people hire lawn care companies so they don't have to bind over

mark123
03-03-2012, 09:37 PM
Sorry, I didn't mean to rip the newbie a new one. I just hate, hate, HATE this idea. It's not the first time we've dealt with it before and I've dealt the same devastation on another forum.

It's just not a good thing to do. I imagine it's also illegal. Fines for littering are $300 per incident in this area. Imagine getting busted for throwing 200 baggies. That's $60,000!

jymie
03-03-2012, 09:45 PM
Since the grass is growing now is a good time to zero in on people that don't want to cut their lawn or lost their landscaper. We copied an idea off this biz card company we seen on line. They build rubber bands into the biz cards. we just staple the rubber bands on.( a bit time consuming, just do it while your watching tv or something) Its only 2 cents each instead of six. Since the grass is growing anytime we see a house that could use some work we attach it to their mailbox flag. They have to take it off, even to just throw it away. LOL

I have put a hole in the corner of the advertisement and put a rubber band through the hole then through the rubber band, no staples needed.

JeffK26
03-03-2012, 10:39 PM
I have put a hole in the corner of the advertisement and put a rubber band through the hole then through the rubber band, no staples needed.

That's what I've been doing, and hanging 'em on the door.

Aaaaand yeah, what Mark said. It seems to me it shows every reason not to hire the company that does that.

Hanging on mailboxes is just as bad as IN...all parts of the mailbox are off limits as per my friend's father that has worked for the post office for 30 years.

It's hard enough to get a call from fliers, why make it worse by pissing off the homeowners?

Hedgemaster
03-03-2012, 11:28 PM
I was planning to go put one up tomorrow.

Around here, there are hardly ANY places that still allow things on bulletin boards unless it's for a non-profit organization.
I found one grocery store that does, and I've gotten a few decent clients that way.

Does it work better than Craigslist, or paid advertising? Nope.
Did it pay for the time I spent designing my ad, printing, and hanging it? Absolutely.

jonrpatrick
03-04-2012, 07:29 AM
I apologize for getting anyone PO'd here!
IF a company is considering door hangars or hanging flyers or biz cards on mailboxes, I offer the baggie idea as an alternative. Distribution is faster, and I personally (YMMV) find it less obtrusive or 'trashy' than the others.
I got the idea because my last subdivision was quite large, and we got a LOT of flyers weekly - some were door hangars, some hung on the mailbox, and the worst were those just 1/2 rolled and stuffed between the mailbox and flag. Those ended up blowing around your yard, etc.
Pissed me off constantly.
The first baggie I received was lawn care, and in 2 years in that home (I moved in with my wife when we married) I also got a roof company and Avon.
I've recommended it to companies and it's always been successful, when compared with the other options.
Didn't mean to get anyone all angry, and I appreciate the other view (people hire landscapers so they don't have to bend over!) - but if a company is considering flyers, etc. it is another alternative. And, personally, I like it better.
Have a great Sunday, all.

willshome
03-04-2012, 08:47 AM
jonrpatrick I don't think anyone is "PO'd" we are just trying to help. Starting a lawn care business can be very hard and we just want to work together to learn. I was a little jumpy at this one because I have read problems about this here and other places. You have to be very careful with ads not to upset anyone.

Steve in one of his videos talks about - grass seeds in a bag todo the samething as the rocks but putting a note in it saying "heres a gift for a problem spot"

JeffK26
03-04-2012, 09:08 AM
No biggie, man. Not Po'd at all.

One of the calls I got was an estimate. After the estimate I ask my marketing questions, you get to find out what is working and what isn't and tweak the fliers that way...... After telling me the veteran owned caught his eye, and the other two companies giving bids were because of years being in business and seeing them around he told me 2 companies didn't get the call because they hung them on his mailbox. His thought process was if they were too lazy to walk a neighborhood, he didn't want them on his lawn.

It's just a warning on how customers actually think. Not to mention mailboxes are illegal to use. Whether putting something inside or hanging.