PDA

View Full Version : Howdy from McDonough, GA!

darrylsanchez
05-03-2010, 12:59 PM
Hello, Gopher! I'm Darryl from McDonough, GA. I recently ** about 6 months ** started a yard service business here in my town. I have a new client who has a two acre spread of lawn that he'd like me to mow, as well as maintaining all of the decorative hedges that surround his home (at least 4 dozen of 'em). His wife would also like me to do accent plantings on a regular (seasonal) basis, as well. The mowing will be done on a weekly basis because of the speed at which his grass tends to grow. The pruning can be done on an every-other-week basis ** maybe less. What do other yard guys/gals charge for seasonal plantings? Also, I'm about to get another client who also has a sprawling spread, that also will be including some major plantings, including fertilizing. I'm lost as to how these things are priced.... Any input from successful landscapers out there would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for reading...! :D

gonecountry
05-04-2010, 05:45 PM
I usually discuss what the homeowner wants and then when I go to purchase them, I would take the total of the purchase[including tax] include a mark up to 15% and times that by 1.25.[which covers your labor]

for example: plant cost 5.50 x.15 = $.83 plus 5.50 = 6.33 x 1.25 = 7.91 [round to $8.00] for each plant. that is with labor and mark up included.

Steve
05-05-2010, 01:58 AM
Hi Darryl ,

Welcome to our forum!

What got you interested in starting your own business?

darrylsanchez
05-05-2010, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the pricing tip! I appreciate your response; it was very helpful. Have a great day! DS

darrylsanchez
05-06-2010, 05:30 AM
howdy, steve! i joined up last fall, when i started my business; but only recently have been able to get my one-man company off the ground. (kinda hard to do during the winter season here in georgia.) anyway, i started my biz 'cause i love being outdoors, and i enjoy yard work, as well as customer satisfaction. also, my brother owns a very successful landscaping company in hawaii, so he inspired me to try my hand at it here. i hope to utilize both your forum, as well as some of your software and tips to help my business as the months and years progress. so far, this new spring, i've been quite successful in marketing my new business...! thanks again! darryl

Steve
05-06-2010, 02:14 PM
Hi Darryl,

That is fantastic! What kinds of tips has your brother suggested that have helped most so far? I am sure he has plenty of advice.