PDA

View Full Version : Learning about Landscaping

Yard Elements
05-02-2010, 10:45 PM
I know quite a bit about Landscaping but would like to extend my knowledge a little, does anyone know of anywhere I can learn about landscaping, mostly the construction aspect of it.?

stew6371
05-02-2010, 11:10 PM
Good question. I would be interested as well

NewLeafca
05-02-2010, 11:35 PM
I know around here some of the community colleges have some classes and full programs.

Steve
05-03-2010, 01:37 AM
Do you have any local landscape associations? They should have a list of classes going on in your area.

Yard Elements
05-03-2010, 11:19 PM
yes we do WALP do there classes are few and far between. i will see what I can find though.

bushtrimmer10
07-11-2010, 12:01 PM
I am trying to learn how to quote prices for bush trimming jobs. I am starting a bush trimming service. I think I may be quoting too high however my last job was the job from hell. I way under bid it. I just quoted a job in a very wealthy neighborhood it was a job that would take at least and entire day. Huge property with tons of bushes and trees. She wanted me to do small trees also. I quoted as was quoted to me to do my bushes and she did not give me the job saying she would like other quotes. With all the brush and trees I think this job is and easy grand but quoted her $400.00 to start because she was not there and I did not know what trees she wanted done. Can anyone help?

Steve
07-11-2010, 07:06 PM
I think I may be quoting too high however my last job was the job from hell. I way under bid it.

Can you tell us a little about this job? What you quoted and how long it took you?

Looking back on that job, what would you have done differently?

Yard Elements
07-12-2010, 09:25 AM
I am trying to learn how to quote prices for bush trimming jobs. I am starting a bush trimming service. I think I may be quoting too high however my last job was the job from hell. I way under bid it. I just quoted a job in a very wealthy neighborhood it was a job that would take at least and entire day. Huge property with tons of bushes and trees. She wanted me to do small trees also. I quoted as was quoted to me to do my bushes and she did not give me the job saying she would like other quotes. With all the brush and trees I think this job is and easy grand but quoted her $400.00 to start because she was not there and I did not know what trees she wanted done. Can anyone help?

When I quote tree and bush trimming I always make sure to clarify, which and how much is coming off. Basically what they would like done, then I send them a quote via email so it's concrete and spell everything out pretty clear. Your only quoting too high if you losing all your jobs, from the bids. The best way to tell is have some other people in your area bid your property then use that as a competitive template. Hope that helps.

bushtrimmer10
07-12-2010, 09:28 AM
The bushes were about 5-6' long and about 5'8" tall. I needed a ladder and at first look thought I would only need a step stool. I guess I was unprepared for the job. I didn't think they were as high as they actually were. I think I was excited to get my first job. So I did learn from this. I was paid $100.00 for the job there were other bushes too but they only took about a half hour to do. The entire job took 3 hours. I bid 85.00 for the job and was given $100.00 he said take it because it was so hot that day. Well the fact is I under bid I think.
I saw a previous post about a pole that has the ability to bend so I could do a high bush without using a ladder. That would be worth the investment.

Now I recently bid on a job in a wealthy area and it was a huge job. I think it would take at least a day. Many bushes and small trees. I had a starting bid of $400.00 and told her I needed her there to show me exactly what trees she wanted done. I don't usually do trees, but would do the small ones for her and it would be a little more in that case. She did not like my bid and wants to get others. Personally I think she will be lucky to get a bid under a grand. It is a huge amount of work.

Steve
07-13-2010, 12:09 AM
I bid 85.00 for the job and was given $100.00 he said take it because it was so hot that day. Well the fact is I under bid I think.

If you could redo this job and rebid it, what would you have been more comfortable bidding it at?