PDA

View Full Version : Toro 42" Timecutter Won't Start!!

mr. phil
05-01-2010, 05:06 PM
Hello to everyone that's reading this! I've had my zero turn for about a week now and the previous owner that I purchased the zero turn from gave me some advise on basic operations of this machine. He told me to never turn the machine off when its at idle, to always turn it off at full throttle. well my helper was unloading the machine yesterday and hen said he thought he heard me calling his name and he had the toro in idle and turned it off. Well it won't start back up! I've taking all the basic steps of changing the spark plug, changing the oil, and installing a new air filter and cleaning element but still no start. There is fresh gas in the tank and I don't know what seems to be the problem! I can follow instructions real good so any advise would be helpful! i have several customers lined up for this up coming week so what every it is i need to do It has to get done today or tomorrow! Please help me out guys!
Edit/Delete Message

B-2 Lawncare
05-01-2010, 08:39 PM
Hello to everyone that's reading this! I've had my zero turn for about a week now and the previous owner that I purchased the zero turn from gave me some advise on basic operations of this machine. He told me to never turn the machine off when its at idle, to always turn it off at full throttle. well my helper was unloading the machine yesterday and hen said he thought he heard me calling his name and he had the toro in idle and turned it off. Well it won't start back up! I've taking all the basic steps of changing the spark plug, changing the oil, and installing a new air filter and cleaning element but still no start. There is fresh gas in the tank and I don't know what seems to be the problem! I can follow instructions real good so any advise would be helpful! i have several customers lined up for this up coming week so what every it is i need to do It has to get done today or tomorrow! Please help me out guys!
Edit/Delete Message

Will it turn over if not check to see haw many volts your batter is putting out. If it is below 12 volts you may need to jump it.If wont even turn over Check the key switch and make sure that you have power to the switch. I need some more info. It could also be the starter.

mr. phil
05-02-2010, 11:57 AM
it will turnover but will not start up!

B-2 Lawncare
05-02-2010, 01:41 PM
it will turnover but will not start up!

That's good. Is your battery good,Check the key switch. Does your mow have a low oil censor? If it does check to see that its not broke. Check the hyd valve for the steering is it in neutral. I am sure that you have replaced it but i will throw it out there. The fuel filter if you haven't already changed it,change it. when you have it a part turn it over to see if the fuel pump is working. When you are turning it over check the coil.

SuperiorPower
05-02-2010, 02:36 PM
First, check spark. Then check that it is getting fuel. Then check Compression. If all of these are present, then it should start. Let me know the results of these three. For now, I gotta run. I will be back on tonight I hope to check your results.

Good luck,
Eli

Steve
05-03-2010, 01:26 AM
When you check compression, what should you be checking it against? Would there be a different compression level for each type of motor out there?

fire9755
05-03-2010, 08:48 AM
I changed out the magneto and still no spark....unit will turn over but not fire....

bruces
05-03-2010, 09:58 AM
generally,a gas engine will start off its life in the 160 lb. range ,then as it wears it will drop .Generally ,the suggested compresion test is to just make sure there is some ,there would pretty much be none if the engine had a hole in the piston,a stuck valve,etc etc .Anything less than 70 lb. is truly cause for concern .
Anyways,the suggestion that you must stop your engine at high engine speed might be due to a fuel problem,dirty carb,carb float adjustment ,choke adjustment or something along those lines .Have you tried spraying a little gas in the carb to see if it will start?

SuperiorPower
05-03-2010, 11:19 AM
It isn't necessarily to measure it against anything else but to make sure it has compression. If you have a compression tester and it has less than 50-70 pounds you are likely wasting your time. However, I doubt that is the problem in this case since it ran fine before. I am opting more toward a bad coil, or other electrical component since it won't start if it is shut off while hot.

Mr. Phil,
So it has no spark now... Have you checked to make sure the coil is properly adjusted? Also, what brand engine does the mower have on?

mr. phil
05-03-2010, 11:59 PM
OK.... I'm back up and running!! Just so everyone can know i changed the fuel filter and replaced the battery with a new one...... Nothing changed it was still doing the same thing but after i took the engine cover off, i got a wild hair to try it again and... and... it started up but was sounding weird. It was sounding like it it was only running on 3 HP. So i was scratching the little hair that I have left on my head and my dad walks over and moves some little black piece on the carb and Bamb!! I'm back and in full force!! What happen was that the throttle control was stuck in idle on the carb. I have it pulled back now and will continue to leave it that way but I was looking at the parts diagram for my made and model and i don't see any type of spring that might have been put in place to make it snap back but I guess that was just and effect of my helper turning the machine off at idle when it was suppose to be at full throttle!! Thanks for all the help again to everyone that chimed in and I'm really getting interested in small engine repair!!

SuperiorPower
05-04-2010, 11:32 AM
Sounds like the throttle may have some gum or something in the throttle area. Small engine repair can be fun, but sometimes it can be very frustrating as well... I have been doing it for 15+ years while my dad has been doing it for about 40 years and we still see things all the time that we have never seen before.