PDA

View Full Version : Property or Lawn?

CHEESE2009
05-01-2010, 01:01 AM
I have noticed a lot of lawn guys charge by the square foot of the full property, while I used to only charge by the square foot of the lawn + obstacles.

A property can have 6,000sqft but the lawn might only have 1,830sqft of actual lawn.

Not that It affects me, I'm just curious about this.

It's weird! Explain!

mark123
05-01-2010, 01:12 AM
I used to charge just for the square footage of lawn. Now I just measure the total property and it seems to account for weed whacking just about perfectly.

I still measure the actual lawn while doing an estimate so that I can also bid on the fertilizing as well.

picframer
05-01-2010, 06:26 AM
I have noticed a lot of lawn guys charge by the square foot of the full property, while I used to only charge by the square foot of the lawn + obstacles.

A property can have 6,000sqft but the lawn might only have 1,830sqft of actual lawn.

Not that It affects me, I'm just curious about this.

It's weird! Explain!

Square foot of lawn simply because many of the clients have massive homes, multiple out buildings, large gardens etc.

cleancutlawncare5382
05-01-2010, 06:45 AM
I'm new to estimating lawns but what I've been doing is trying to figure out how long I think it will take to mow. Charge by the minute from there, whatever your hourly rate may be. So far I have been a little light on the time. Seems to take longer then I thought - not by much 10 / 15 mi max.

I like the measuring so you can bin fertilizing as well.

mark123
05-01-2010, 08:39 AM
Square foot of lawn simply because many of the clients have massive homes, multiple out buildings, large gardens etc.

The bigger the building the more weed whacking that needs to be done around it, right? That's why I changed my way of estimating.

gonecountry
05-01-2010, 03:13 PM
I measure the square footage of the property although I just measure the perimeter of the property, but have made myself a pricing list that might help you.

Steve
05-02-2010, 12:29 PM
Do you hand that price list out to potential clients or is this for your use only?

gonecountry
05-03-2010, 06:21 PM
This is for my use only. The only thing that the customer looks at is the estimate I give them that has the prices to do a weekly mowing, bi weekly mowing, fall and spring leaf removal. Any thing else is bid separately because most of the time, these are the main services people ask for.