PDA

View Full Version : Why I left lawncare

Red Panda
04-30-2010, 06:49 PM
A while back Steve asked me why I left lawncare.

The main reason for leaving is having 45 contracts, tried hiring someone on and ended up having 3 different employees all get fired for stupidity, or not showing up. That was alot of contracts for one person.

Gas prices on the rise didn't help either. Another reason was don't put your eggs all in one basket as they say, this was one client for all these properties and the agreement wasn't the best for me in the end.

I am in the Us right now looking into starting up a company again but after seeing how to bid jobs, and what some people are saying on the forum. It seems that it would be hard to make any money.

I love working for myself and wouldn't want it any other way. So i will try to find niche and go for it.

Anyway thought i would let you know. Have a great day

Lawn Envy
04-30-2010, 10:29 PM
Wow thought this was a positive forum about lawn care professionals that want advice how to improve their business, and not how to fold because of some adversity. Good luck to you.

CHEESE2009
04-30-2010, 11:39 PM
It's not impossible to make money in this field.

It's like anything.

Let's say you are in middle school (high school) & it's your last year before college, if you are an honor roll student - you have a chance to get accepted into a College (Cegep). Not everyone in the class gets to go, though.

Even for sports tryouts, 100 people can attend, but only X amount of people make it.

I have no experience with the above, but it's an example.

It's not chance or luck, it's basically having the right mind set in order to create fresh strategies to progress.

You can either attack or you can defend, or even mix it up with both. Not just speaking about shooter videogames, but in reality.

It's hard to make money in EVERY job you start out, just gotta play your cards right in order to achieve success.

I honestly didn't think I'd be able to triple my client base this season, I wanted to badly - but I knew I'd get my hopes up...

I was wrong... I took my truck out & chatted with every person I saw on the road, with a little extra kick in the arse (from yourself) you can get what you want.

It's all about the drive you have. Personally I had no drive while attending school, I didn't understand the future school would provide me with.

I needed to take charge & learn things on my own, so I did - & I have never been happier. I wanted to learn what I wanted to learn, not what everyone else was.

When you wake up in the morning say to yourself what you want, & go get it!

"I want 50+ customers" once you leave your driveway, your on a mission & it's as simple as that.

I'm not saying I have the most drive out of anybody. We all have to admit though, we aren't really giving it EVERYTHING we've got.

Getting clients is easy as pie, even if I hate not having more from time to time, it's my fault in the end.

It's just strategy. I can make dinky flyers all I want, & I even know they don't work but I still hand thousands out anyway. That's me being lazy. I admit it.

If I wanted more customers, what's really stopping me? Is it a level of comfort I'd have to sacrifice? Of course! Though in order to achieve, you've gotta get a little uncomfortable.

This logic can fit in with almost any problem in this industry. We all have what it takes to succeed.

I just saw the new "A nightmare on elm street" it sucked big time.

Steve
05-01-2010, 01:03 PM
I did ask him to tell us why he got out of lawn care because I think it helps everyone learn from the situation he went through. Hopefully you can forsee these warning signs and avoid them.