PDA

View Full Version : Too young to start a business?

DanG
04-29-2010, 05:32 PM
Hi, my names Dan and I've been mowing my lawn for 4 years. I have gotten many complements on my work and have always wanted to start a lawn care business. There is one problem though: I'm 17 years old and am not sure if I can legally start my own business. I have saved enough money over the years to buy all the equipment I would need and even insure and incorporate my business, BUT the legal question is holding me back. Im not sure what I should do and need help! Is there any way I can start my dream business?

justin_time
04-29-2010, 05:42 PM
Hi, my names Dan and I've been mowing my lawn for 4 years. I have gotten many complements on my work and have always wanted to start a lawn care business. There is one problem though: I'm 17 years old and am not sure if I can legally start my own business. I have saved enough money over the years to buy all the equipment I would need and even insure and incorporate my business, BUT the legal question is holding me back. Im not sure what I should do and need help! Is there any way I can start my dream business?

Hey Dan,

Welcome to the forum.

1st of all, your never too young to start a business. I started my business 4 years ago while I was 20. I'm sure I could of started earlier if I wanted too.

Just make sure you go register yourself as DBA (Doing business as) and like me.. I registered Just in Time Yard Services for example. After that well if you want pesticide license then you need to apply for that and whatsoever.

Well I hope I've manage to explain things

Steve
04-29-2010, 06:45 PM
Hi Dan,

Welcome to our forum.

If you can't register a business name now, you already have been operating for 4 years, why not then just wait until you are 18 and you can sign all the legal documents you want.

What made you decide to get that going now?

DanG
04-29-2010, 06:58 PM
Hey Dan,

Welcome to the forum.

1st of all, your never too young to start a business. I started my business 4 years ago while I was 20. I'm sure I could of started earlier if I wanted too.

Just make sure you go register yourself as DBA (Doing business as) and like me.. I registered Just in Time Yard Services for example. After that well if you want pesticide license then you need to apply for that and whatsoever.

Well I hope I've manage to explain things

Wow! That clarified a lot! Do you know if its possible to get insured as well, even though I am 17?

DanG
04-29-2010, 07:07 PM
Hi Dan,

Welcome to our forum.

If you can't register a business name now, you already have been operating for 4 years, why not then just wait until you are 18 and you can sign all the legal documents you want.

What made you decide to get that going now?

Well, I have only been doing my own lawn. When I moved to my neighborhood, I wanted to start my business but I was around 14 or 15 and my neighbor already had a small lawn care business around our neighborhood. I could've competed against him but he was older and had a pretty legit operation going. It was pretty intimidating. Now, I am older, can drive, and i'm a lot more experienced, so I am more comfortable going into business. If I cant start now, then Ill be at the county court house on my 18th birthday signing business papers. I planned on waiting until I turned 18 but the sooner the better.

justin_time
04-29-2010, 07:08 PM
Wow! That clarified a lot! Do you know if its possible to get insured as well, even though I am 17?

As far as I know, I don't know. You would have to call places that have Liability insurance and ask them. I was just lucky I found somewhere they provide me Insurance

Steve
04-30-2010, 10:58 AM
Dan,

Keep us posted on how all this works out for you.