PDA

View Full Version : Can I move the Mail Box

CHEESE2009
04-29-2010, 03:21 PM
My customer has a public mail box on his lawn, it's in my damn way.

Can I move it, & how far?

Either way I'm probably going to move it, legal or not. lol

I just want to put it at the edge of the property, not in the damn middle of the strip I have to do.

bruces
04-29-2010, 04:29 PM
it probably would be fine to move it,but its also probably not on your customers property anyway as most places dont allow you to buy right up to the road .I only own half of my front yard because of this .

CHEESE2009
04-29-2010, 09:30 PM
I believe the city owns 2ft from the curb of your lawn.

Though this mailbox is on his lawn & it's just another unneeded hassle.

It's a corner lot, small property - & the mailbox is on the "side" of the lot, but it's still in my way.

I'd draw a picture but I'm so damn lazy right now. lollllllllllllll

psparaco
04-29-2010, 09:44 PM
i worked in civil engineering as a drafter for a year. normally the city's right of way is from the face of the curb to the center line of the sidewalk and the little strip isnt not owned my the property owner but its an unwritten law that they expect the property owner to maintain the lawn on it. kinda sucks but as for moving a public mailbox, u would have to consort with the postal service and see if they have a better alternative to moving it. most likely you'll just have to deal with it. mow around it. and trim the rest. thats what i always do. hey i hate the sanitary cleanout on people's lawns but you can't move that. cause i know from personal experience those things have cost me 4 blades and 1 mower from hitting them accidently. lol.

TeamDynamic
04-29-2010, 11:24 PM
When you go ask, put in a good word for me. I have about 50 fire hydrant's I would like moved :)

psparaco
04-30-2010, 08:28 AM
When you go ask, put in a good word for me. I have about 50 fire hydrant's I would like moved :)

Unfornunately i can say first hand i know for a fact you can not have fire hydrants moved. Those are in a specific location due to the national fire protection agency (nfpa). i was in the fire service for 4 years as a volunteer and i learned all the nfpa laws. they have to do with distance from the city's water main in the road and the distance to a dwelling or home. the farther away you get the lower the water pressure gets and low pressure is a bad thing for a fire engine pumper. Also there are civil nfpa and national standard plumbing codes that state how far apart fire hydrants are placed. how far off the center of the street and so on. certain things on lawns can not be moved. a public mailbox you might be able to request to have moved if it poses a threaten to something else on the property. water, meters, fire hydrants, sanitary cleanouts, fiber optic boxes, etc can not be moved to the best of my knowledge. i know all this cause my prior career was mechanical/civil engineering. i was a mechanical designer for 12 years and a civil drafter for 2 years.