PDA

View Full Version : Troy-Bilt Weed Trimmer - Did I get a good deal?

xchen
04-29-2010, 10:26 AM
I was at Lowe's yesterday and they had a clearance model Troy bilt weed trimmer. Model # is TB514 and it was $139 down from $150 or so. Since it was an open box, I asked for more of a reduction. They let me take it for $90.

It's a 4-cycle for my one man operation. My only gripe right now is that it does not accept any attachments such as edger, hedger, blower, saw, etc that some of the other models accept. Theyre was a lower model 2-cycle that did accept the attachments for $90 that was still in the box, but I'd rather not have the hassle of mixing gas.

Thoughts?

pj7714
04-29-2010, 12:58 PM
Well sounds like a you got a good price, I`m not too familiar with troy built but I haven`t exactly heard raves about them. If the thing runs, cuts, and lasts you the season then for $90 I would chalk that one up as a win!

bruces
04-29-2010, 04:29 PM
run it for most the season,then sell it and buy a new one for next season .I know a ton a lawn companies that buy home grade equipment with the longest warranty they can get,they use the equipment for one season ,then sell it to someone while it still has warranty .Selling something with some warranty left is super easy .Basically their equipment costs are very low,and later on in the season and they always have something new to use .

xchen
04-30-2010, 09:10 AM
I ended up exchaning it for another 4-stroke trimmer, also Troy-Bilt, but attachment compatible so I essentially have a multi-tool now instead of a dedicated trimmer. I picked up brushcutter attachement, edger, and blower, as well as the current model trimmer. I was able to get Lowe's to give me the full refund of $139 plus tax and I put that towards the new trimmer which was $174.00.

With the difference in price and the attachments I got it all for $250.00.

I also got my first customer yesterday and start on that lawn this evening.

jasonw
05-05-2010, 12:24 AM
I ended up exchaning it for another 4-stroke trimmer, also Troy-Bilt, but attachment compatible so I essentially have a multi-tool now instead of a dedicated trimmer. I picked up brushcutter attachement, edger, and blower, as well as the current model trimmer. I was able to get Lowe's to give me the full refund of $139 plus tax and I put that towards the new trimmer which was $174.00.

With the difference in price and the attachments I got it all for $250.00.

I also got my first customer yesterday and start on that lawn this evening.

Just make sure you are not as dishonest with your clients as you were to Lowes.