PDA

View Full Version : Howdies

GreenBeast
04-27-2010, 10:55 PM
Hello everyone, my name is John, I was looking into starting a lawn care business in Indiana, and stumbled across this site. I am trying to figure out a budget and what all I need to start. So here I am soaking up the knowledge.

Steve
04-28-2010, 12:07 PM
Hi John,

Welcome to our forum!

What kind of equipment do you have to start with?

Are you going to be doing this full time of part time?

GreenBeast
04-30-2010, 06:06 PM
Hi John,

Welcome to our forum!

What kind of equipment do you have to start with?

Are you going to be doing this full time of part time?

Well to be honest not a lot I have 3, so so push mowers (non commercial) and a few trimmers, one of which is (commercial) in excellent condition.
I don't have a trailer, ZTR, or anything else for that matter :(
Was layed off recently and thought of this to supplement my income, however really cant afford to take money outta the house to buy new equip.
I did go to school for Horticultural Science several years ago (but only finished w/ a tech certificate, as I switched focus on business, in my 2nd year now) and I love to work outdoors, Feel I am destined to work 4 myself (don't we all) So though I would put my knuckles to the grinding wheel and try all I can. Any tips tricks, help and advice/criticism is welcomed and will be used constructively.

GreenBeast
04-30-2010, 06:07 PM
I did get me some business cards and fliers made last week and am passing them out now, going door to door, I think my prices are fair and reasonable, but it seems others are cheaper. I only charge about 30-35 for an average res. yard.
However there are some charging $15, I am trying to build a business and simply cannot do it that cheap, it would simply be a waste of my time and effort. I need to work my way up and invest in equip., and 15 a job wont do! I don't see how they can do it for such a low cost w/ gas and labor and all.

Steve
05-01-2010, 01:51 PM
You need to make a profit on your work or, like you said, what would the point be. I think your best chances of getting your foot in the door are always with people you know already. Friends, family and neighbors. From there build outwards from people who know them.

Keep making contacts and things will happen.

GreenBeast
05-01-2010, 05:31 PM
Thanks Steve. I agree, the neighbors are starting to recognize me out working and ask questions, tell me their mother in law or who ever may be interested in my services. I honestly think its not all about the service, I mean sure it needs done, but it is the relationship with the customers that counts, and that is what I will build on, I'll continue to make new contacts and develop a ethical relationship with them. Hopefully it will pay off (i am sure it will) but only time will tell.

GreenBeast
05-01-2010, 05:38 PM
Picked up a 2 troy built blowers 2day new. 31cc, 525 cfm, 190 mph.

Sorta heavy but I think they will last a while. what ya's think?

Steve
05-02-2010, 11:31 AM
Hey what ever you have now is fantastic! Keep pushing forwards and making new contacts.