PDA

View Full Version : Tax Question

Paineless Creations
04-26-2010, 11:53 PM
I live in washington state and I just got my first customer with 4 lawns :).

I was at lunch with a buddy of mine and we got to talking about business ETC.. I was asking Questions about taxes and what not, He told me since I am performing a service just mowing there lawn I should not charge sales tax. Is this true? Oh yeah I am a Sole proprietor.

swstout
04-27-2010, 12:33 AM
I live in washington state and I just got my first customer with 4 lawns :).

I was at lunch with a buddy of mine and we got to talking about business ETC.. I was asking Questions about taxes and what not, He told me since I am performing a service just mowing there lawn I should not charge sales tax. Is this true? Oh yeah I am a Sole proprietor.

Different States have different requrements. I have done business in NY where sales tax is on everything (material and labor), SC where sales tax is only on mterial, anf FL where sales tax is only on material. It has been almost 30 yers since I was in FL, but then, I collected sales tax and as long as I made the tax payments on time each month, I paid 75% of what I collected. In a sense, I was paid to collect the tax.

You'll have to check Washington State for our requirements.

Steve

picframer
04-27-2010, 05:41 AM
You should ask an accountant or call the tax office, where I live it's based on gross sales, when you hit $30,000 it's no longer an option and this division of the government audits on a constant basis, I went through two audits last year as we report every quarter, came through in flying colors.

Paineless Creations
04-27-2010, 10:35 PM
Very good inputs. I have looked over the washington state websites and no luck

mark123
04-27-2010, 10:51 PM
Very good inputs. I have looked over the washington state websites and no luck

Here in PA it's handled by the Department of Revenue. Here's what comes up from googling +washington +"department of revenue"
http://dor.wa.gov/Content/Home/Default.aspx

Hope that helps.

Paineless Creations
05-01-2010, 10:09 PM
So here is a copy from the washington website. So i read this and it means I do charge sales tax right?

What is retail sales tax?

Retail sales tax is Washington’s principal tax source. Businesses making retail sales in Washington collect
sales tax from their customer.

Here is some more helpful information
Generally, a retail sale is the sale of tangible personal property. It is also the sale of services such as installation, repair, cleaning, altering, improving, construction, and decorating. Other services include improving real or
personal property, amusement and recreational activities,
lawn maintenance, and physical fitness activities.
Retail sales tax includes the state and local components
of the tax.
Sales tax amounts collected are considered trust funds and must be remitted to the Department of Revenue.
The seller is liable to the Department of Revenue for sales tax, whether or not it is collected.
Use tax is paid by the consumer when the retail sales tax was not collected by the seller/service provider.
Businesses that make a purchase for resale must provide a reseller permit to the seller. If not, the seller must charge the buyer retail sales tax on the total purchase.
Businesses also pay the retail sales tax on purchases of items for their own use (such as supplies or equipment) that will not be resold in the regular course of business.
Similarly, when a business purchases a retailing service for its own use, it must pay sales tax on the purchase.

Yard Elements
05-01-2010, 10:53 PM
I also live in washington state and yes you are required to collect sales tax

Paineless Creations
05-02-2010, 09:47 AM
I also live in washington state and yes you are required to collect sales tax

Great Thanks so much