PDA

View Full Version : Building a Driveway

picframer
04-26-2010, 10:48 PM
Here is a before and after we build a driveway, the issue with this project is the driveway needed three loads of crusher run however the client could only afford two, results are a lot better than what she had but no where near as good as what she could have with one more load.
The 2520 is amazing with the boxblade.

justin_time
04-26-2010, 11:53 PM
I could use your box blade/tractor in my driveway. It's like playing dodge the pothole and it's gravel in my driveway lol

picframer
04-27-2010, 06:06 AM
I could use your box blade/tractor in my driveway. It's like playing dodge the pothole and it's gravel in my driveway lol

May be something for you to look into bud, regrading driveways is a pretty big business for us, many homes can't be paved due to bedrock just under the surface, this creates a lot of spin out and ruts.

Then you have a massive amount of homes with large properties and driveways 400 to 900 feet long, these ones always seem to have potholes and I know why, they didn't grub the stumps when the driveway was built, faster and cheaper to just cover it, make it look good, get paid and take off, I would guess 90% of the ones we do have this issue.

Steve
04-27-2010, 12:09 PM
Andy,

We had talked about the box blade in the past but I am still trying to remember all this.

When you are using it on the driveway, do you first use it without the claws down or do use the claws first?

It seems in one picture you are running down the driveway with the claws down and I am guessing that is to pull up anything that is immediately below the surface?

picframer
04-27-2010, 02:53 PM
Andy,

We had talked about the box blade in the past but I am still trying to remember all this.

When you are using it on the driveway, do you first use it without the claws down or do use the claws first?

It seems in one picture you are running down the driveway with the claws down and I am guessing that is to pull up anything that is immediately below the surface?

Rippers down to get rid of the pot holes, large rocks and quite often logs from when the driveway was cleared, then tilt it back and look out, man the results are super fast and stunning, I can do a 500 foot driveway start to finish in two hours, we charge a thousand bucks and we get every quote.

justin_time
04-27-2010, 03:18 PM
May be something for you to look into bud, regrading driveways is a pretty big business for us, many homes can't be paved due to bedrock just under the surface, this creates a lot of spin out and ruts.

Then you have a massive amount of homes with large properties and driveways 400 to 900 feet long, these ones always seem to have potholes and I know why, they didn't grub the stumps when the driveway was built, faster and cheaper to just cover it, make it look good, get paid and take off, I would guess 90% of the ones we do have this issue.

Well i don't have the money or the jobs to do it. There is too many contractors with loaders/shovels/graders around here I don't see myself doing that

Steve
04-28-2010, 11:59 AM
In that one photo you have a large rock on your box blade, how much of a difference does that make on it's functionality?

picframer
04-28-2010, 07:47 PM
In that one photo you have a large rock on your box blade, how much of a difference does that make on it's functionality?

It wheighs around 600 pounds and is critical, you need a tremendous amount of weight back there to dig into hard soils.

Steve
04-29-2010, 07:16 PM
Oh! How do you go about getting it on there? Do you need your excavator onsite to do that?

picframer
04-29-2010, 07:21 PM
Oh! How do you go about getting it on there? Do you need your excavator onsite to do that?

LOL, I did in this case however we could use the loader on one of the tractors to place it there, I was playing around with the thumb on a jobsite when one of the guys suggested a bigger rock on the box blade so I gave him one, that was last spring and I have never taken it off.

Steve
04-30-2010, 11:54 AM
Oh!

Another thing I was wondering is how do you handle drainage on this job? What kinds of things did you have to do to ensure the driveway lasts for a long time?