PDA

View Full Version : Lifting Rock

picframer
04-26-2010, 09:34 PM
The 17D didnít read the John Deere manual as it should never be able to move a rock this large but it did and placed it on a hill, this is the view of itís new home, probably should have used one of our larger excavators but I had it to a new spot where the client wanted it in 30 min.

jessechaveriat
04-27-2010, 12:08 AM
wow....that thing is huge. must be a strong machine!

picframer
04-27-2010, 05:02 AM
wow....that thing is huge. must be a strong machine!

I had my son and a friend run the numbers, my son is a math whiz and Dave is an engineer, the peg this rock at 7,400 pounds, they are 90% sure of the number, that is about 2,000 pounds more than this machine should be able to lift.

Steve
04-27-2010, 11:05 AM
WOW! Once you get it up out of the ground like that, is it trouble to move out of the area and towards the perimeter of the property?

CHEESE2009
04-27-2010, 11:22 AM
HOLY MOLY that's quite a rock!

Get the crane out!

picframer
04-27-2010, 01:51 PM
WOW! Once you get it up out of the ground like that, is it trouble to move out of the area and towards the perimeter of the property?

Not really but I have been doing this as a kid, then on my own property and now a business, I find it easy to do.

Steve
04-28-2010, 10:57 AM
Was this for the job that wanted the rocks put into a rock wall?

picframer
04-28-2010, 06:49 PM
Was this for the job that wanted the rocks put into a rock wall?

No that is another one we haven't started yet

Steve
04-29-2010, 06:15 PM
Wow that is awesome how busy you are!

picframer
04-29-2010, 06:23 PM
Wow that is awesome how busy you are!

We stopped taking any more business this year on Monday, we have 157 landscaping/excavation jobs to do and if we are lucky they will get done before the guys go back to school in September. We still get 5 or 6 requests a day, every day of the week plus stop by's on job sites but I do not want to grow any bigger this year.

Steve
04-30-2010, 10:57 AM
We stopped taking any more business this year on Monday

WOW and we are not yet into May! Good job Andy!

Have you found that home owners are willing to wait a certain period of time to get a job done? After a certain point will they cancel the job or how have they been handling the wait?

Also, how do you deal with customers who might switch to someone else or want to cancel service without giving you enough time to know this in advance?

picframer
04-30-2010, 06:48 PM
WOW and we are not yet into May! Good job Andy!

Have you found that home owners are willing to wait a certain period of time to get a job done? After a certain point will they cancel the job or how have they been handling the wait?

Also, how do you deal with customers who might switch to someone else or want to cancel service without giving you enough time to know this in advance?

The majority will wait, the past few weeks we have been telling customers it would be August, most said fine, some said they would find someone else. No one has cancelled on us yet.

I write clients generally three or four days in advance saying we will be there on xxx day, I have only had one say they found someone else, that is fine with me just shortens the list and finding work is no issue, even the lawn mowing is max'd out.