PDA

View Full Version : Excited ... potential ... unsure ... too much ... not ready all mixed together!!!

fieroboi
04-22-2010, 10:28 PM
I just got a call from another company in town who has been doing yard care as well as landscaping. He wanted to know if I would be interested in taking on his yard care clients as he has decided to concentrate on landscaping only. He is willing to turn them over to me, however I am not in the position of being able to handle them all. It would increase my client base by 200%, which would require hiring guys. The extra work would be awesome, but here are my issues.

Hiring guys might mean a constant rotation of employees, there have been a few guys here that have commented that they have trouble maintaining employees. Not sure if the reward is worth the headache.

Secondly, I have built my business on quality. In the 2 years I have been operating, I have gotten the reputation of being the company in town that does some of the best work. Not being able to be totally hand on might cause issues with the quality of workmanship.

Exciting, as this is. This could be a big break, and be a chance to build on what I have started. It could turn into me being able to take some more time off once guys know what and how I want things done.

I have to add that I also find this somewhat scary, too many companies have grown too big too fast and in the end it ruins them.

I would appreciate any thoughts, both negative and positive that could help with some kind of decision. Thanks guys.

Lloyd
Blue's YardFX
Camrose, AB

bruces
04-22-2010, 10:39 PM
whats your current workload ,and workforce ? is he selling you his customers,or are they available for free ?

fieroboi
04-22-2010, 10:57 PM
whats your current workload ,and workforce ? is he selling you his customers,or are they available for free ?

I've been handling 27 clients to date myself. He is offering me 47 new ones. We didn't discuss whether I was buying them, he basically wanted to know if I would be interested in taking them on. I got the impression he just wanted to make sure they were going to have someone looking after them, so I would guess they were free.

Lloyd

doug1980
04-23-2010, 01:12 AM
You could always take half of them. Just be honest with him and explain that you are not in a position to have that many clients right now, but would love to take half of them for him.

Steve
04-23-2010, 10:12 AM
This is a very interesting topic. In the past we talked about how 20% growth each year is kind of a ceiling you shouldn't go above.

Can you add enough customers to hit that mark and no more?

How many customers would you ideally like to add now and still feel comfortable with your growth?

fieroboi
04-23-2010, 10:31 AM
This is a very interesting topic. In the past we talked about how 20% growth each year is kind of a ceiling you shouldn't go above.

Can you add enough customers to hit that mark and no more?

How many customers would you ideally like to add now and still feel comfortable with your growth?

I think this is why it can be scary, I have had some growth this year already. I have been wanting to pick up about 5 more clients in addition to the new ones I got this spring already. He wanted to make sure one group of 13 would be looked after, I'm hesitant to even take the 13 on. I guess it would depend on what he was charging them and if I could find enough help to make it pay.

Realistically, I was very happy with the growth that I had already achieved and wasn't looking to take on any more ... I understand him not wanting to leave his clients in a bind, I would feel the same way. Its funny how a small change of direction can effect things so dramatically.

Lloyd

bruces
04-23-2010, 10:32 AM
Have you concidered hiring two guys,that work with you [meaning three of you go to each house ] ,in theory it would allow you to get the work done,and keep a watchfull eye on the quality .Also,maybey some equipment changes size wise might be in order .

fieroboi
04-23-2010, 05:24 PM
Have you concidered hiring two guys,that work with you [meaning three of you go to each house ] ,in theory it would allow you to get the work done,and keep a watchfull eye on the quality .Also,maybey some equipment changes size wise might be in order .

I am considering something like that at the moment. I think I would like to chat with this guy and feel things out a bit. Quality workmanship is more important to me than anything ... small city and word of crappy work travels FAST!

Lloyd
Blue's YardFX
Camrose, AB

Steve
04-24-2010, 10:49 AM
Keep us posted on what you decide to do with all of this.

fieroboi
04-24-2010, 10:13 PM
I chatted with the other company tonight and told him I would take on one group of his clients, 13 in total all in one location. After some chat, he told me what he was charging them and I can live with it for the summer, might raise rates in the new year, just to get a slightly higher profit margin. I figure I can handle them with just one employee and basically they will pay his wages for the summer season.

Here is hoping that things go as planned .... LOL

Lloyd
Blue's YardFX
Camrose, AB

Steve
06-23-2010, 10:55 AM
How did all this go so far? Are there any updates?

fieroboi
07-09-2010, 11:20 AM
The 13 I had agreed to take on did not happen, a new guy in town came along and scooped them before I was given their names. From what the other company told me, he offered them a lower price. I have seen his work since and well, lets just say "You get what you pay for"

I have otherwise picked up several new clients from that company as he has been refering them to me. It has worked out reasonably well, I am still increasing clients but at a slower rate which is more in my comfort zone.

The employee is working out reasonably well, but I am finding I have to constantly remind him of little things now and again. He fixes them and things go well for a few weeks then he starts getting sloppy again. I figure this is just standard employee management.

Lloyd
Blue's YardFX
Camrose, Alberta, Canada

ptguy123
07-20-2010, 06:54 PM
Sweet 200% increase!