PDA

View Full Version : Today's job

picframer
04-22-2010, 06:46 PM
One thing about owning this business is I can pick sites I want to work with, I allow the staff to do the same.

Some may recall this was a massive drain job we did last year, in short the owners were pumping 240 gallons a day from their basement due to blasting for a new school nearby, forget trying to prove the water came from the blasting even though they have lived here for 20 years.

I decided to show up with the 27D excavator, 2520 tractor and X749 tractor, each serves a purpose to get a job like this done fast, todays task was 64 yards of top soil and 12,000 sq ft sod.

I will try to get the images in order but basically there is shots of the top soil being laid with the 2520, how me use the landscape rake to grade before the top soil, we use a 36 landscape bucket on the excavator to cut grades, the X749 is crazy at rolling as the friggin thing will go anywhere, it also does the spraying.

We also had to build a new retaining wall, the one built two years ago fell apart as it didn't have any cribbing.

It was a good day, I am beat, the batteries died in the camera (mine are dead to)or I would have taken finished shots but I have to go back tomorrow for a little cleanup, customer was shocked as was his wife that three guys could do all this in one day, having the equipment is everything and man it was fast work.

lawncrafter56
04-22-2010, 08:24 PM
Very Nice Project

swstout
04-22-2010, 09:14 PM
How heavy is the x749? Nearly all properties here have septic systems. Is there a potential problem using the z749?

Nice job

Steve

picframer
04-22-2010, 09:28 PM
How heavy is the x749? Nearly all properties here have septic systems. Is there a potential problem using the z749?

Nice job

Steve

No issues at all, I take tractors three times it's size and we do build septic fields so I am very careful, it goes around 1,400 pounds

swstout
04-22-2010, 10:35 PM
Thanks Andy. I'm just trying to cover all bases.

Steve

picframer
04-23-2010, 06:10 AM
Thanks Andy. I'm just trying to cover all bases.

Steve

I know you mentioned a while back that the dealer had a repo coming back, did that ever happen? You can make amazing $$$ with this tractor, I am off to till a place this morning, another company underbid me however they were using a walk behind, the client called last week saying the company quit after four hours, it's close to two acres and they were having a lot of issues, I will be in and out in two hours tops and bid $260.00, won't change my estimate regardless of how much they did.

The tillers on these turn at three times the speed of a walk behind leaving outstanding results.

When it comes to spraying, having a sprayer attaced to the 3 point hitch in the back is priceless, I can get into really tight spots and this tractor will honestly go anywhere I have pointed it.

swstout
04-23-2010, 10:38 AM
I know you mentioned a while back that the dealer had a repo coming back, did that ever happen? You can make amazing $$$ with this tractor, I am off to till a place this morning, another company underbid me however they were using a walk behind, the client called last week saying the company quit after four hours, it's close to two acres and they were having a lot of issues, I will be in and out in two hours tops and bid $260.00, won't change my estimate regardless of how much they did.

The tillers on these turn at three times the speed of a walk behind leaving outstanding results.

When it comes to spraying, having a sprayer attaced to the 3 point hitch in the back is priceless, I can get into really tight spots and this tractor will honestly go anywhere I have pointed it.

I saw the repo x749. I passed! Going for a new one

Steve

Steve
04-23-2010, 11:26 AM
It's amazing how we seem programmed to think that bigger equipment is always better, but it's not!

If you can't get the equipment in and out of an area you are working in, the equipment is useless.

This is a great example of having the right equipment for the job.

picframer
04-23-2010, 06:18 PM
It's amazing how we seem programmed to think that bigger equipment is always better, but it's not!

If you can't get the equipment in and out of an area you are working in, the equipment is useless.

This is a great example of having the right equipment for the job.

I found a niche, we are bigger than the small guys can do jobs they can't or we have the gear to do it faster, many rent but they don;t have the experience. I did an excavation job today the client had hired another company to do, it was quite a mess, lack of experience and the wrong size excavator. We are smaller than the big guys that can't get their gear in or they are not interested, I am a little shocked more haven't cought onto this, in any event I am enjoying it.

The second thing is the old saying, it takes money to make money. I have invested a considerable amount in this company, at the same time it has provided more work than we know what to do with.

Steve
04-24-2010, 11:46 AM
it was quite a mess, lack of experience and the wrong size excavator.

Andy,

Can you tell us a little on how the wrong size excavator can effect a job?

picframer
04-24-2010, 07:35 PM
Andy,

Can you tell us a little on how the wrong size excavator can effect a job?

Quite simple actually, too small it's can't lift the rocks and the grading is poor, too big and the damage is insane