PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Southern CA

NewLeafca
04-22-2010, 12:15 PM
New member and just wanted to say hi. I like what I have seen and read so far. I was laid off from work about a year ago and was trying to find a job. Then my Mom bought a new mobile home that needed some work on it. Since I knew how to do the work I have been working on her house. Once we got thee inside done and she was able to move in it was time to work on the outside.

The home had been sitting empty for a couple of years and the outside was a mess. No grass anywhere just dirt and some bushes and other plants that were overgrown. So I sat down with my mom we came up with a plan and I started to work on the outside. I put in a new walkway, patio, a raised garden bed. Leveled out the ground put in sod trimmed the trees and bushes etc... and she now has a nice landscape to enjoy. I was still looking for work when it hit me how much I enjoyed working on her landscaping needs.

So thats how I got started. I already had the tools I needed so went down got a business license some insurance and am now starting out with landscaping company. Only have a few clients right now in the same mobile home park that my mother is in but have gotten a lot of leads on new ones from them.

I like the calculators that are available and want to try them out just got one question about them. I am a Mac guy so are the available for Mac or just windows? Thanks for a great site will let you know how it goes.

Steve
04-23-2010, 10:43 AM
Welcome to our forum!

The calculators are windows based but you can use the ones online that will work on any computer that can get on the internet.

What kinds of things are you now planning on doing to promote your business more and reach out further into your community?

NewLeafca
04-24-2010, 10:47 AM
I just put out 250 door knockers in the surrounding area yesterday. I also have put up some flyers on local bulletin boards and will have an add coming up in the next penny saver.

Steve
04-24-2010, 12:15 PM
That sounds like an excellent plan. Maybe get some business cards too and hand them out to everyone you know.

NewLeafca
04-24-2010, 07:39 PM
I do have cards made up they just came today. Put out some more flyers today in the neighborhood. Also received 5 calls today from customers. So hopefully things will get going soon. I have been targeting small lawns for now because my equipment is not all that good. It is good enough to get the job done for now and I am hoping that by the end of May I can make enough to purchase better equipment.