PDA

View Full Version : Garden Project

picframer
04-22-2010, 06:46 AM
Here is a project I started with a helper yesterday, after 9 hours we have the hard part done, this will be a garden for the client.

1 - The start, we use brush saws to clear the 50 X 80 area, 4 hours one guy

2- Chip the product as we will use it for a walk way

3- Remove the roots and grub everything

4 - Save the rocks for a rock wall around the garden

5- Get sleep, man we were beat

6- Bring in the 2520 with a loader, spread 32 yards of lawn soil and 48 yards of garden soil

Steve
04-22-2010, 11:56 AM
Andy,

After you saw out the growth, it seems like there are a lot of roots in there. How do you go about getting them all out? Do you wrap a chain around them and pull each out or how is that handled?

picframer
04-22-2010, 06:48 PM
Andy,

After you saw out the growth, it seems like there are a lot of roots in there. How do you go about getting them all out? Do you wrap a chain around them and pull each out or how is that handled?

No, Excavator with a bucket, $110 an hour, 14 hours work, this is a $4,900 job around $3,000 profit, two days work plus one for clean up.

Steve
04-23-2010, 10:56 AM
It is an amazing job too because if a home owner tried to do that by hand, they would be there forever.

And when you are done, the land goes from useless to useful. You can't beat that.

picframer
04-23-2010, 06:30 PM
It is an amazing job too because if a home owner tried to do that by hand, they would be there forever.

And when you are done, the land goes from useless to useful. You can't beat that.

Yes, what has happened here is three other people with large lots have seen our work and want us to do something similar, great because the equipment is there however we are now booking into July, that is not good. I have three excavators and 7 tractors running 7 to 10 hours a day, we simply can't keep up.

stew6371
04-23-2010, 07:30 PM
So you mainly do this type of work. Seems to be a good money maker.

picframer
04-23-2010, 07:45 PM
So you mainly do this type of work. Seems to be a good money maker.

Excavation is a big part of our work and where the real money is but no, anything a home owner needs with respect to property care we can do.

Steve
04-24-2010, 11:54 AM
Andy,

What's the best way to market such services for brush clearing? Is that what this would be called?

I could see how a home owner might be confused on who to call to do such a service. Since it's not tree removal, they may not call a tree service and it's also something many small landscapers just wouldn't be equipped to do.

picframer
04-24-2010, 07:34 PM
Andy,

What's the best way to market such services for brush clearing? Is that what this would be called?

I could see how a home owner might be confused on who to call to do such a service. Since it's not tree removal, they may not call a tree service and it's also something many small landscapers just wouldn't be equipped to do.

Landscaping, Brush Clearing, Brush Chipping, Garden Construction