PDA

View Full Version : Having to pass on a bid

picframer
04-21-2010, 07:02 PM
I am doing an excavation job in an area with no cell, I think due to the high voltage power lines so my blackberry is pretty quiet:) Anyhow I had 9 phone inquiries today, I listened to them on the way home, one shocked me, it was the school board for our city wanting a quote on lawn care, I think it strange as this would have to go for tender but the man sounded pretty agitated with the current provider and I know them well as we have taken a few of their accounts. As much as it hurts, I am going to have to pass, I know the company that does it uses 4 trucks, three WAM's and a pile of ZTR and puch mowers. Adding another 16 employees doesn't interest me, this company is already putting me in a situation where I have become an office manager which I don't like and won't do, I told my son today if I have to I will simply downsize.

Good account for someone though.

kdexpd
04-21-2010, 09:16 PM
Ya I hear ya, sometimes growing pains hurt. I don't know all of your situation, but I would sure HATE to turn something like that down. If I was in a situation like that one, I'd tell them I need the first 4 months payment in advance and then go out and buy some equipment. Man I bet that's gonna be quite a chunk of $$ for you to lose, but if you're not happy, don't do it. That's what I love about this business, if it makes you happy do it, if it doesn't, pass it on.

justin_time
04-21-2010, 09:20 PM
I'll be there in 2 days or whatever how much time it takes for me to get my mowers and equipement on my trailer and on my way to Halifax ;)

Ha, i wish !

bruces
04-21-2010, 09:58 PM
I'll be there in 2 days or whatever how much time it takes for me to get my mowers and equipement on my trailer and on my way to Halifax ;)

Ha, i wish !

hey neighbour,I was thinking the exact same thing .

justin_time
04-21-2010, 10:53 PM
How's my neighbor doing ? Is he busy yet ??

We should meet up one day and go for coffee.

bruces
04-21-2010, 11:10 PM
How's my neighbor doing ? Is he busy yet ??

We should meet up one day and go for coffee.

I am still busy with my winter job,and even though we have had some awesome weather,it still is a little early to get things going . .

picframer
04-22-2010, 04:14 AM
Ya I hear ya, sometimes growing pains hurt. I don't know all of your situation, but I would sure HATE to turn something like that down. If I was in a situation like that one, I'd tell them I need the first 4 months payment in advance and then go out and buy some equipment. Man I bet that's gonna be quite a chunk of $$ for you to lose, but if you're not happy, don't do it. That's what I love about this business, if it makes you happy do it, if it doesn't, pass it on.

Money is not the issue in this case or getting equipment, prepayment is not an option with government contracts, the problem is it's a massive account, next week we are back to full staff 17 and I do not want to even be this large, you would nt believe the paper work.

cklandscapingorlando
04-22-2010, 05:06 AM
Yea they aint given up money till the work is done. On top of all the paper work you have, they will likely add a ton more and probly want it done for less than you would do another job of that size. At least down here they would.

Steve
04-22-2010, 10:53 AM
I am sure many lawn care business owners will wrestle with this issue as they grow. Do you think there is any rule of thumb as to when to go with a job and when to pass?

I am sure there is money in this job that would certainly make most jump all over it, but there seems to be a downside to having to scale up so quickly.

How can you hold yourself back when presented with something that might be outside your businesses comfort zone?

picframer
04-22-2010, 05:54 PM
I am sure many lawn care business owners will wrestle with this issue as they grow. Do you think there is any rule of thumb as to when to go with a job and when to pass?

I am sure there is money in this job that would certainly make most jump all over it, but there seems to be a downside to having to scale up so quickly.

How can you hold yourself back when presented with something that might be outside your businesses comfort zone?

Yes there is money in the job, they are willing to sign a five year contract, subject to performance clause's in the contract which is fine.

We are already as big or bigger than I want to be, I am flattered they called me and we spoke twice today, they seem pretty intent on my taking over but I am honestly not interested, I might be next year but I have to find someone to manage the business as I would rather be out working.

I handle a situation like this by being very straight forward, we started a year ago, we have 16 staff, we have 159 landscaping projects, 196 lawn spraying clients and close to 90 lawn mowing jobs, I simply do not want to expand any further at this time.

markty
04-22-2010, 06:03 PM
Andy,

Too bad I am down in Bridgewater! I have a question for you unrelated from that issue. I have a client who would like me to "spray" or put down down some kind of weed and feed. We do not have restrictions like you do in HRM but I do not WANT to use chemicals. Any suggestions on a product I could get locally to impress the client(organic AND chemical). He'd like it done ASAP(of course) His lawn is in good shape but there are just a few dandelions that want to germinate.

Thanks for your help,

Mark Lowe
Grasshopper's Lawn Care

picframer
04-22-2010, 07:10 PM
Do you know what the weed is?

Burn it, put down turn dressing, overseed and use Organic sprays, the grass will wipe the weeds out, buy the premium Kentucky cold climate from Halifax seed.

I can lend you a burner if you need one.

markty
04-22-2010, 07:22 PM
I would say it just your basic dandelion. okay what should I use for the "Organic Sprays" that you mention?

Thanks,

Mark

Steve
04-23-2010, 10:03 AM
I handle a situation like this by being very straight forward, we started a year ago, we have 16 staff, we have 159 landscaping projects, 196 lawn spraying clients and close to 90 lawn mowing jobs, I simply do not want to expand any further at this time.

Do you think it ever hurts customer relations when you turn work down and possibly say you are just too swamped right now and you can't take on anything more?

Is there a bad way this could be handled and should be avoided?

picframer
04-23-2010, 05:23 PM
Do you think it ever hurts customer relations when you turn work down and possibly say you are just too swamped right now and you can't take on anything more?

Is there a bad way this could be handled and should be avoided?

Yes and no, many understand and they really appreciate your honesty, some don't understand and wonder why you just don't expand further.

This was supposed to be a fun returement hobby business as I have mentioned, I wanted to work with my son who is in University and perhaps employ a few of his friends, the company took on a life of it's own and it's desperate hard for me to manage at the momant, we are receiving 4 to 11 inquiries a day, every day that in itself is a full time job.

I think the bad way to handle this is to take on the work without having the backbone in the business to back it up, I have been in business, although not this one, to know when to put the brakes on or something will blow up.