PDA

View Full Version : New sales tax issues coming?

Steve
07-24-2006, 06:06 PM
Have you noticed sales tax laws changing in your areas?

Do you think such new laws would effet business?

Fixing to be Taxed (http://www.lawnandlandscape.com/news/news.asp?ID=4507) - Carlos Eugenio of Landscape Perceptions totes retaining blocks for a porch at a home in Wayne. Beginning Oct. 1, such renovations and landscaping projects, along with a host of other services, will be subject to the state's sales tax.

Valerie Timko is bracing herself for a possible pile of wet leaves coming down on her landscaping business this October, when the state will begin charging sales tax on a host of new services.

"I think it will severely impact small business," says Timko, who runs Timko Landscape and Construction in Little Falls with her husband.

Timko and other local landscapers worry that their clients will balk at the prospect of paying $350 in sales tax on a $5,000 flower-planting job.

"This is going to add a lot of money to people's projects," says Lenny Di Tomaso of Di Tomaso Design, a landscaping company in Wayne.

Under the 2007 state budget, sales tax will be applied to landscaping and lawn care and a host of other new goods and services beginning on Oct. 1. The list includes home renovations ** like floor installation, carpet cleaning, and tree pruning

tiedeman
07-25-2006, 06:54 PM
I think that it will drive a lot of businesses out of business. We don't have a service tax here, but I know that if they ever did one here, it would greatly hurt the economy

Steve
07-25-2006, 08:11 PM
What concerns me is one state will follow the other. They will see this as another revenue source and tax it.

tiedeman
07-25-2006, 08:15 PM
At least it isn't like up in Canada. *I used to live in Ontario, and you would get taxed like 30 cents for every dollar. *But of course you would get quarterly government sales tax refund checks though.

Steve
07-26-2006, 05:02 PM
I had talked with an LCO not too long ago who moved up to Canada for many reasons, one being government funded medical insurance. He said once he got up there he quickly found it wasn't as good as he thought it would be.

BSDeality
07-26-2006, 10:55 PM
CT has been taxing services forever. its a part of business. Its like buying a car. jus because you got him down to $x doesn't mean you pay $x; you're buying the car for $x+$tax.