PDA

View Full Version : Hello!

grassyknollskm
04-16-2010, 02:00 PM
My husband and I started our lawn care service a little over a year ago here in Illinois and we've been able to obtain some accounts including a few larger accounts (municipalities). I thought it would be interesting to join a forum that we could learn things from to help us become more grounded and better established.

Steve
04-17-2010, 08:25 AM
Welcome to our forum!

Congrats on landing those customers! Do you have any advice for others who are looking to land their local municipality as a client? How should they go about doing that?

grassyknollskm
04-19-2010, 08:41 AM
All I can say is persistence and timing pays off. We kept presenting proposals to the municipalities and apparently a couple were having issues with the previous contractor's work so we were given a chance. Also at one of the municipalities, they have a vacant home program in which the municipality maintains the lawns of the vacant homes when the owners won't so they contract that work out. Another municipality has a senior grass cutting program that they contract the work out to as well.

Steve
04-19-2010, 11:11 AM
Very interesting! It seems to me that most new lawn care business owners, wouldn't even consider taking this route.

Out of all the potential customers you could have gone after early on, what made you think of the local government as a customer? It's a smart move but why do most never think of this?