PDA

View Full Version : wholesale discounts

Tex0219
04-12-2010, 03:27 PM
I just started up a lawn care / landscaping company. Does anyone know how I can get wholesale discounts at nurseries?

cklandscapingorlando
04-12-2010, 05:24 PM
Some will just giveit to you but alot want you to have a design install lisc

Steve
04-13-2010, 10:04 AM
I would think your best bet would be to go to your local nurseries and ask them if they can give you a discount.

picframer
04-13-2010, 08:59 PM
I would think your best bet would be to go to your local nurseries and ask them if they can give you a discount.

That is all we did last year along with a copy of our business license, we do this for all supplies, massive discount on top soil from our supplier.

Steve
04-14-2010, 09:37 AM
Andy,

Was there a certain way you brought it up or asked them or did you simply say, how do we get a commercial discount?

Did they ask for your business license or did you just bring it to show them?

picframer
04-14-2010, 06:40 PM
Andy,

Was there a certain way you brought it up or asked them or did you simply say, how do we get a commercial discount?

Did they ask for your business license or did you just bring it to show them?

Well, I did my research on the companies and suppliers first, then I called from my house phone and, just for example I called and said I am doing landscape on my property and need 16 yards of Organic Top Soil, I live in Brookside, what would it cost with delivery? Then I waited a couple of days, Hi may I speak with the person in charge of commercial sales? Good day, M y name is Andy and I own Oakridge Yard Care, we are a new company in the city and looking at supplier rates, what would you charge for example for 16 yards of top soil delivered? My #1 goal was to ensure I was receiving a discount.

Anyhow I did this with about 8 suppliers last year, we are the third largest client of the Organic soil company, we buy mulch, top soil and turf dressing, I would have to check to be certain but we bought close to 200 loads of product last year, did the same thing with a quarry as we go through around 20 truck loads of rock a week, we did 6 loads today alone on a road we built.

If they want my business, I have to get a discount, just like our business there are lots of fish in the sea.

Steve
04-15-2010, 07:50 AM
That sounds like a great way to go about it. What kind of discount should a lawn care business owner be looking to get?

picframer
04-15-2010, 01:14 PM
That sounds like a great way to go about it. What kind of discount should a lawn care business owner be looking to get?

Depending on the supplier I get 20 to 35% off the customer rate, this gives me a little wiggle room, biggest discounts are sod and Organic lawn soil

Steve
04-16-2010, 08:45 AM
Interesting. What about plants? How much of a discount would be good for them?

Tex0219
04-16-2010, 09:03 AM
Good stuff y'all. Thanks. Y'all sound like big businesses. I only have 3 accounts so far. Just have to make enough to pay for the trailer I bought before I can shell out $$ for advertising.

How many accounts do y'all have? What is your average price for a lawn 14,000 sq ft?

Again, thanks for all your input.

picframer
04-16-2010, 08:25 PM
Interesting. What about plants? How much of a discount would be good for them?

Plants and shrubs 30 to 40%

Steve
04-17-2010, 08:30 AM
Oh that is good. It should give everyone a ballpark idea if what they should shoot for.

Thank you so much!

datguybob
04-17-2010, 06:54 PM
i have learned that almost all of the places i buy things from offer contractor prices. I am in the Ft Worth Tx area and i use John Deere Landscapes for alot of stuff. They base your discount on how much you buy or how well you get along with people there. some stores give better discounts to me than others. I also use the plant shed for most of my plants. They have a dedicated wholesale department at all of their locations. All they need is my DBA or tax id number to set up an account. Normally, i just go in and ask if they offer contractor pricing. If they dont then i will keep looking unless they are just very close to a particular job.
It never hurts to ask for discounts, all they can say is no.. i try to talk prices down every where i go now. People are always expecting me to do things for cheaper or free so why not try to get a beter deal from my suppliers?