PDA

View Full Version : Fertilizer quote

calvarylandscapegroup
04-11-2010, 04:01 PM
Hey everyone, I was wondering if someone could tell me how to go about pricing out a fertilizer job?

Also I passed 4000 flyers out and have only got one call out all of that!! It was very discouraging kind of makes me second guess on staying in the business. Anyone else having problems like that? I put a promotion on the postcard saying that if the customer went with our services they would be entered into a drawing to win a $100 in free gas or a month of lawn maintenance free.

JP Landscaping
04-11-2010, 10:07 PM
The way I price fertilizing jobs is by figuring out how much the fertilizer will cost you per square feet. Then I figure the size of the lawn and multiply it by the figure you came up with. Then you figure out how long you think it will take you to apply it and charge according to your hourly rate.

Example:

my fertilizer costs me about $35 and covers up to 15000 sq feet. so 35/15000=.002333 dollars/sq ft

The lawn is 10,000 square feet so : 10000X.002333= $23.33 for the fertilizer
I figure it will take me about 20 minutes including travel time,unload, and load up. if your rate is $1 per minute then you chagre $20 for you labor

so in summary:
$23.33 fertilizer
$20.00 labor
43.33 you could say about $45 for a 10,000 sq ft lawn.

kdexpd
04-12-2010, 12:22 AM
I'm pretty close to JP. I figure what the fertilizer is going to cost, and then I add what it would cost them if I was to do a mowing service on their yard. Now, that all depends on how you are going to spread the fertilizer. If you are using a hand spreader, I'd charge more. If you are using a push type broadcast spreader, about the same as for mowing. If it's a large lot and you have a pull behind broadcast spreader like mine, I usually charge a little less, only because it takes me no time to do it. It all depends on how you're applying it. More work and effort = more money. Most of my fertilizer jobs are from lawn customers. The average lawn is $25. I use Vigoro weed and feed in the spring and it's around $30-$35. So I figure $25 + $30 and come up with $50. Now recently, I had a large, expensive lawn which I used the good Scotts brand on and I also had to use the pull behind broadcast spreader. The fertilizer came to $135 plus tax and I charged $50 to apply it. Last year when I winterized it, I used a hand held spreader and charged $75 to apply it, only because I hadn't purchased the pull behind one yet. In any case, no matter how you do it, just be sure you are making a profit and not breaking even just to get the job. I am the world's worst at under bidding myself of fear of not getting the job.

Steve
04-12-2010, 07:59 AM
Could we see the flyer to offer you some suggestions?

Also I passed 4000 flyers out and have only got one call out all of that!! It was very discouraging kind of makes me second guess on staying in the business. Anyone else having problems like that?

How many people did you get a chance to talk with and meet as you handed out the flyers?

Also were you able to give any quotes on the spot while you handed them out?