PDA

View Full Version : new in northern ontario

bruces
04-08-2010, 01:32 PM
Hi everyone,I am a new guy here ,been helping my son for the last 7 years [he started as a 10 year old ] and will be glad to share info with anybody here as we have created some unique solutions to a lawn business .

Steve
04-08-2010, 03:01 PM
Hi Bruce,

Welcome to our forum!

as we have created some unique solutions to a lawn business .

I'd love to hear some of your insight as to the unique solutions you created. Can you tell us a little about that?

justin_time
04-08-2010, 05:33 PM
Hi everyone,I am a new guy here ,been helping my son for the last 7 years [he started as a 10 year old ] and will be glad to share info with anybody here as we have created some unique solutions to a lawn business .

Where from Northern Ontario are you from ??? I am from Northern Ontario !

bruces
04-08-2010, 09:54 PM
justin,I am in Sudbury,not far from you .

justin_time
04-08-2010, 10:17 PM
Small world lol

You'll understand why I don't go to Sudbury, even though it's only 1 hr from where I am.

I don't think I need to explain, I have enough of my own work over here

justin_time
04-08-2010, 10:42 PM
justin,I am in Sudbury,not far from you .

I figured someone from Sudbury would come on this forum one day lol

bruces
04-08-2010, 11:05 PM
Hi Bruce,

Welcome to our forum!

I'd love to hear some of your insight as to the unique solutions you created. Can you tell us a little about that?

Well,since my boy was only 10 and pretty busy,I designed a little trailer that he pulled with a mountain bike that held his mower and a 5 gallon can .I cut the metal,and he welded it together with the mig I taught him to use the night before .He wasnt using a whipper the first year ,but by the second year a set of hooks where added to hold a whipper and a gallon gas can .It worked awesome ,and surely brought him business .His trailer was all custom made,but I am fairly sure that one of those kid trailers could be easily converted for use .

Steve
04-09-2010, 06:45 AM
That is fantastic! Can we see a picture of the trailer and bike setup! I think that would be very inspiring for others to see as well!

Did you consider putting signs on the side as well?

bruces
04-09-2010, 11:44 AM
I unfortunately dont have a single picture of it ,and we didnt need any signs on it as it really stood out ,and he was too busy in no time .We havent used it in a few years ,and its long gone from here ,but in reading through this site lately,I see lots of kids that might be able to use the idea of it .I bent up a piece of stainless sheet for the floor ,with about a 6 inch tall lip all the way around to keep everything contained ,it would be super easy to put signs on it if you wanted ,and even with the weight of his equipment [after a few weeks he bought a new 2 stroke toro comercial mower ] he had no problem moving his mower from job to job .This could be used by anybody if you dont have or want to deal with a truck or car , or maybey you just like to ride a bike .I would be more than happy to help any way I can with anybodies version of this "mini landscaper " .The bike should be a multispeed one ,and the one we used was just a cheap basic hardeware store special not his high dollar kona .

Steve
04-10-2010, 06:39 AM
That is really creative and shows you can run a business at any level.

What is he using now to transport all his equipment?

bruces
04-10-2010, 11:38 AM
after a few years,he bought a truck,but was unable to drive it legally .He hired some older kids to drive and work with him ,but they always were unhappy working for a kid ,so he let them all go .I have been driving and working with him the past few years ,but he will have his licence any day now [we had a strike by the licencing people for 6 months ,so everything is backed up badly ]

Steve
04-11-2010, 09:17 AM
He hired some older kids to drive and work with him ,but they always were unhappy working for a kid ,so he let them all go

Isn't that something? Age can have effects on business and life in ways we might not initially expect them too. Do you think there was any way around this to make it work or was it always going to come down to the older kids won't want to work for the younger ones like that?

What's your view on how to make this work if it is possible?

bruces
04-12-2010, 12:43 AM
in the end ,finding an older kid that fit in just didnt happen .My daughter is two years older ,and an awesome worker as well ,but the two kids didnt get along well enough,and she wouldnt even try working for him .[she had her own t shirt business a year before my son ,which is probably his inspiration for what he did ] .My son would come home after working with the kids he hired ,and he would be pissed off because they wouldnt get out of the truck and help him at all sometimes ,and the ones that did didnt care enough to do a descent job so he just felt it wasnt worth the hastle .

CHEESE2009
04-12-2010, 01:35 AM
That's upsetting!

I would have loved to help him out! Why burn a bridge like that? You son could be the next "Scott's or Weedman"!

As for your sons license, I am really excited for him!

Imagine all the ambition he is going to gain from having this new privilege!

He wont be out guzzling gas for the sake of it, he'll be using it to market 24/7 with business on his mind!

No more will he be embarrassed for riding shotgun, & his customers will treat him like a responsible adult when he pulls up in his vehicle.

Good for him!

I remember when I got my license, I was actually too lazy to drive around - I still am!

A lot of people enjoy it, for me, It's tiring.. I move my seat closer, just so it's less effort to step on the gas... lol!!! As I eat my McDonalds double cheeseburger...

The average speed limit is 40' km, nothing makes me more sleepy.