PDA

View Full Version : Backstabbers!

CHEESE2009
04-07-2010, 01:52 PM
A competitor had agreed with me not to go after each others clients.

As I was passing out 'scheduling letters' for spring cleanups, I found one of their "envelopes" inside one of my customers mail boxes.

Does this mean war? What should I do? I am personally ready to go after their clients! It sucks that I was holding back, but now it's so beautiful.

I got my truck keys right here & I'm considering this very much.

Alright, I sat here for an extra second... I'm going out.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_dFX81X2PSIk/Sxr9j5dk5YI/AAAAAAAABYM/BKK2ZLzZKvo/s400/backstab.jpg

Why miss an opportunity, especially when they are after my clients?

SuperiorPower
04-07-2010, 03:11 PM
Personally, I would go contact the competitor and not bow to their level. That is my vote.

Steve
04-07-2010, 03:27 PM
These types of agreements are tough to maintain. How are you supposed to know who their clients are and how are they supposed to know who your clients are?

CHEESE2009
04-07-2010, 04:25 PM
Personally, I would go contact the competitor and not bow to their level. That is my vote.

Too late, lol. :p

I see it as being competitive, now their customers can decide to switch or not.

I didn't offer them anything special (discount) for switching, same price as usual for every other client.

I'll win their clients with honesty, not by being a prick. lol.

That was a fun trip today.

I'll see how many lawns I get out of the 75+ I visited today.;)

CHEESE2009
04-07-2010, 04:28 PM
These types of agreements are tough to maintain. How are you supposed to know who their clients are and how are they supposed to know who your clients are?

It's information we have shared with each other in the past.

I usually sub out hedge work for garden work. Weird stuff.

It's as if the town is getting so much more smaller with all of this competition, this is where everyone drops their allies & goes after everything they can grab.

brian'slawncare
04-07-2010, 05:48 PM
If i were you I would not lower myself to their level. I would contact the competitor and discuss where the boundries are. Then you can see if maybe they had the boundries mixed up. Getting in a fight like this is not good for your buisness of for your health (stress). If he understood what he was doing was wrong, offer a discount ( 10% ) for switching to your service. Keep us updated.....

brian'slawncare
04-07-2010, 06:02 PM
can anyone tell me how to make a post like be the one to put out the topic ex:backstabbers ?

jklawncare
04-07-2010, 06:59 PM
Id talk with the guy first..and if he knows hes doing it..go right back at his..offer something simple..but so enticing theyll want to switch that second..

and brian you go to the forums tab and click new thread under what section you want it under..

CHEESE2009
04-07-2010, 09:31 PM
The problem is, there are no boundaries for the both of us. We both focus hard on a certain part of town, the best part.

GUESS WHAT?! The customer called me (the one with the letter from my competitor) and he told me about what this company was offering.

They basically took the text off my flyer, & added it to theirs! Free fall cleanup, etc. 7% discount, etc... it goes on.

They also stole my idea from last year, the SAME gift card idea.

Once this customer called me & said this, I grabbed my keys AGAIN, & headed out.

My phone has been ringing ever sense, my last bid for lawn maintenance was at 8:15pm. I was all over town.

Every customer that has called, is with me now.

The clients told me they had bad experiences with my competitor, good news for me.

kdexpd
04-08-2010, 01:01 AM
Scott you're killin' me! HAHA! Good for you. All's fair in love, war and lawn care! Hey the way I see it, business is business. He wanted to lie and cheat, and you wanted to be fair and honest. Now he'll think twice about not only his decision, but also his quality. It won't take long once word has spread to get most of his accounts. HE shot HIMSELF in the pinky toe! You just showed up to step up to the plate and win the game.

CHEESE2009
04-08-2010, 01:19 AM
Things are going to get so interesting this season.

I noticed that they created a website a few days ago, looks like crap.

They must really be worried as their customers are up for grabs by yours truly.

I have NEVER seen them try so hard.

This is a company that hasn't sent out flyers for 15 years, they were doing perfectly fine, sitting comfortably.

I started up in town.. They called telling me that we'd stay out of each others way... They lied... I win!

Now they send out flyers replicating mine, they have a website, they offer the same promotions as me.

The funny thing is, they JUST sent these flyers out. Meaning they had to of copied mine, or else they would have gone out wayyyyy earlier. I knew my flyers were late, but common... Gonna send them out right after mine like that? Pshhh!

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

I know I make them nervous, as they had said on the phone to me before hand, "our customer called us & said you had given them an estimate & now they don't want our service?"

Though I kept my word, I'm not out to get them! - Now I am!

Steve
04-08-2010, 06:06 AM
HAHAHHA You should find out why these customers wanted to switch to you and what they didnt like about the other company and then send out some of those 'make the switch' flyers.

Point out all the issues the other people had to deal with and say, 'if you find yourself dealing with this ............, and are looking for a better alternative. Call Breeze today. We're just better.

:D

cklandscapingorlando
04-08-2010, 06:37 AM
If your a friend I will not target your clients. Everyone else is fair game. You think Coke dont try to get the work from Pepsi? Never make deals like that. I put some fliers on the comunity mailbox here. Guy comes up and ask why I put them in front of their clients house. So I handed them out to every house in the hood. I've taken all but one of his houses in here and watched them repo his rider. Poor guy. He should do something he knows how to do. I'm a Landscaper, he is not

kdexpd
04-08-2010, 12:56 PM
As I stated earlier, BUSINESS IS BUSINESS. If someone wants to take it personal, that's their fault. This is gonna be my famous quote: "If You're Doing Your Job Correctly, I Should Be No Threat To You"

SuperiorPower
04-08-2010, 01:35 PM
I still say, it is one thing if your competitor goes back on his word, but it is quite another if you do too. At least approach him about it (and give him the benefit of the doubt) and then let him choose whether he wants to go back on his actions or wants to continue. With that said, cheat me once, shame on you. Cheat me twice, shame on me.

Perhaps its just me but my word is worth more to me than business. If I said I won't, then I won't. My integrity is not for sale.

I am of the opinion "a man is no better than his word"....

Now if he does poor business and all his customers come to you, that is another story. You did not go after them. If you are doing things right they will see the dirty tactics of your competitor and will not want to do business with him.

CHEESE2009
04-08-2010, 09:58 PM
They dropped their price by $37.00. It's INSANE. They really don't want me in this area & they are trying to squeeze me out.

Not gonna happen!

They downgraded their trailers, tractors, & service! I love it.

I feel like Rocky Balboa going in for the left hook.

http://inadawords.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/rocky-balboa.jpg

kdexpd
04-08-2010, 10:12 PM
Bob And Weave, Bob And Weave! Go Rocky, Go!!!

CHEESE2009
04-08-2010, 10:40 PM
YO ADRIAAAAN!!!!

I'm going to listen to this beat until I pass out, lmao;

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RwpYP7pfdj8&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RwpYP7pfdj8&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

jeffkorhan
05-31-2010, 04:12 PM
I am surprised that nobody has yet commented that it is illegal to have anti-competitive agreements with competitors. This is a violation of the Sherman Act: http://www.justice.gov/atr/public/guidelines/211578.htm

Retaliating against competitors is also an anti-trust violation.

No, I'm not an attorney. But I have had some training in this area.

:)

The Cleaning Doctor
05-31-2010, 06:53 PM
Hard to say anything about the sherman act since he is in Canada. The sherman act does not apply to him.