PDA

View Full Version : Mower blades turning on weird

LawnMedic
04-06-2010, 10:34 PM
I have a mower where the blades only engage under certain cirumstances. If I take the throttle down and up real quick they will click on with the pto switch on. Sometimes they wont kick on and then you can stand up to kill the engine with the seat kill trigger and then sit back down to engage the blades. Anyone have weird problems like this. I will probably replace the clutch but was wondering if anyone else has seen this. If the clutch was bad would it not turn on at all?

XtreemGreen
04-06-2010, 10:52 PM
|Sounds like you have a safety switch problem... Try disconnecting the switch under the seat... If the blades come on, then you'll need to replace the seat safety switch...

LawnMedic
04-06-2010, 10:55 PM
No the seat switch works fine. It does what it has to, but sometimes Ill stand up and then sit back down and that will give the clutch juice for some reason only with the pto switch engaged. And then same thing with messing with the throttle. Would you just replace the clutch, or the pto switch and the solenoid as well for an extra 30 $?

XtreemGreen
04-06-2010, 11:51 PM
No the seat switch works fine. It does what it has to, but sometimes Ill stand up and then sit back down and that will give the clutch juice for some reason only with the pto switch engaged. And then same thing with messing with the throttle. Would you just replace the clutch, or the pto switch and the solenoid as well for an extra 30 $?

Maybe check the connections at the clutch, the pto switch as well.... Take it to a shop and see what they think..

SuperiorPower
04-07-2010, 12:09 AM
Sounds like a switch. Most likely it is not the clutch itself.

biodale
04-07-2010, 01:24 AM
Check to see you stator and regulator are putting out the proper voltage and amperage. Check voltage by putting a voltage meter across the battery terminals with the engine running. The voltage should be at least 14.4 volts. Have your battery tested and make sure it is putting out the proper amperage. If you do not have a battery the voltage from the regulator might be 17-19 volts.

If the above is not the problem I would suspect safety switches.
Good luck:)

bruces
04-09-2010, 12:38 AM
it sounds like you have a short somewhere,check every connection,check your ground straps,and also check your wires for rubbed through areas .

SuperiorPower
04-09-2010, 02:55 AM
If I take the throttle down and up real quick they will click on with the pto switch on.

This likely has nothing to do with the throttle at all. It is more likely to be vibration oriented. It may be the way the engine turns or something when it accelerates quickly. It could be a poor connection on the switch. It could be the wiring harness, it could be where the wiring connects to the switch, or it could be in the switch itself. Anything is a guess.

Sometimes they wont kick on and then you can stand up to kill the engine with the seat kill trigger and then sit back down to engage the blades.

This is some more indication that it is a connection somewhere. Is the engine loose on the frame? This could cause a poor ground connection. Like I said above, it could be the harness, the connection, or the switch itself. Any of these could "shift" when the engine suddenly accelerates or if it is shutting off and then suddenly starts running again that would likely cause it to shift pretty good and may cause a connection where it didn't have one before.

My best suggestion is taking it to a shop and have them look at it.