PDA

View Full Version : Renting a Dethatcher

CHEESE2009
04-06-2010, 09:26 PM
So tomorrow I'm going to rent a dethatcher, for $60.00 / day.

Unfortunately I will only be making $40.00 in profit after paying the rental fee.

I was supposed to make an easy $155.00 but I have customers not confirming if they would like this service.

I'm doing it as an introduction into my lawn maintenance service. I charge as low as I can, just so they can evaluate my service. Unfortunately this will be a complete waste of time.

I already did dethatching jobs with the rakes, I really should have thought about renting this machine earlier, damn.

Oh well, I'll consider this "testing" the piece of equipment. I wanna buy one!

Anyway, I suppose the lesson here is;

Book your customers accordingly. I basically was never involved with spring services, this year I kinda jumped into it & I'm trying to tackle the work load that has been coming in.

Now that it's dying off, is where renting the equipment just doesn't seem necessary.

The problem with spring & dethatching, is the weather. Not to mention that the Easter holidays really messed me up.

I never keep an eye open for holidays, considering we don't usually take days off in our business, but I suppose equipment stores do! Damn!

On the plus side... I'm going to need a better trimmer, because I have TONS of hedge jobs to get done this season. Not looking forward to them, but I am interested in the money! Hahaha!!!

CHEESE2009
04-06-2010, 09:49 PM
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m25/mad_insane/hahahaha.jpg

jklawncare
04-06-2010, 10:19 PM
so is that how you get your customers? haha

CHEESE2009
04-06-2010, 10:41 PM
so is that how you get your customers? haha

Ya I just pick em' up, throw them into the back of the truck with a pen & contract... drive around for 30 minutes on the highway... = New customer!!!

LOL

I lied, I don't use contracts!

picframer
04-07-2010, 03:20 AM
Scott, didn't you pick up a lawn tractor? It would be cheaper for you to buy a lawn sweeper even if you start with a cheap one as you can use it for leaves also, wear it out in one season and then upgrade to something like the Agri Fab smart sweep.

Steve
04-07-2010, 05:17 AM
Would the sweeper take the place of the de-thatcher in that situation?

So tomorrow I'm going to rent a dethatcher, for $60.00 / day.

Unfortunately I will only be making $40.00 in profit after paying the rental fee.

I was supposed to make an easy $155.00 but I have customers not confirming if they would like this service.

What was the original plan and what does it look like will happen now?

What would you do differently if you could re-plan it?

CHEESE2009
04-07-2010, 10:07 AM
Well lucky for me we had a storm last night, & rain today.

I woke up at 6:30am, 7am, 7:30am, 8am etc... Still not nice enough to go out!

I also had the most miserable sleep ever!

Anyway, this leaves me time to book more customers. Thank god for the lying weatherman!

picframer
04-07-2010, 06:56 PM
Would the sweeper take the place of the de-thatcher in that situation?

Yes and it does a better job as it collects the grass, twigs, rocks, doggie doo etc