PDA

View Full Version : My Update

MikeO
04-06-2010, 05:02 PM
Since evryone is updating their progress here is mine.

This year I placed an ad in the paper. 4 month commitment at first place level. Why first place? Last year their was 34 ads I was second last year.

Out of the second week I took 15 jobs of dethatching and aeration. I am down to 6 left. I also work a full time job. I bought a real John Deere tractor a few 3 weeks back or so 38" and double bagger. Bought the craftsman front dethatcher for $125 re welded because the brackets aren't the same. Fits good now and works like a charm. Dethatches very nicely. In 3 days I paid for that ad for all 4 months. Lawn mowing hasn't even started yet. Plus my website does good too. 5 ad line first place. These next 6 jobs is all profit. Thats a couple grand sitting there. Kept all my current lawns from last year added 4 more from that ad. So now thats 11 so far and we are about a month behind everyone else. I'd be happy with about 20. I charge about $45 a lawn with trimming average sized yard. So give or take 500 a week for 23 weeks, I just pocketed over 10 grand off of a $800 ad so far. Go figure.

Steve
04-07-2010, 04:07 AM
That is fantastic news!

I didn't even know you could pay for a position of your ad like that? What kind of premium did they charge for that? It seems it was well worth it.

Also, what were you promoting to take advantage of that first place spot? Can you change it as the season progresses? Are you planning on it?

MikeO
04-07-2010, 05:42 AM
You can change that ad anytime. re-word how you want it to read for the viewer's. You have to pay up front for the spot you want to be in. It's a 4 month commitment. Right now just dethatching and aeration is my concern in the ad, then I put my website as a line as well. Maybe in a few weeks i'll change it to seasonal and weekly mowing. I dont know yet.

Steve
04-07-2010, 06:19 AM
Do you keep an eye what others are putting in their ad?

Do you try to do something different or do you feel you know what services you want to offer now and you stick to it?

MikeO
04-07-2010, 06:38 PM
I figured 17 dethatching and aeration jobs are enough for one person so i changed the ad around to slow it down and it has, now im picking up other odds and ends which is nice. In fact she asked me today if i do snowblowing I said yes. My goal by fall is to have 24 snow removal jobs. The average times it snows here a season is good. Last year I counted 14 times out. I had 7 clients. I charge a little bit higher then most. The 25 dollar people can go broke. My opinion... same with the lawn mowing. I just talked to a gentleman the other day and he had window wells 7 all together, he had to replace them twice because his service broke them while trimming. There $15 a piece!
When he asked the kid about it he got mad and threw a temper tantrum at him because he wanted him to pay him for it. Thats not all, the neighbor lady has 5 and same thing happened to her. Finally, winter came around and he was doing the lady's house and knocked over her other neighbors small retaining wall with his snow plow because apparantley from what he said he was still mad because he called him that day and asked for his money for the window wells. Coincidence? dunno. Needless to say I charged them 40 a cut plus I picked up his other house as well. He was chraging $25 a cut each time. I didnt bad mouth the person or say i wouldnt have done that or said something stupid to make me look better. I just shook my head and said wow.
Then we both laughed about it. Just picked up 2 more jobs bid both on them won one for 450 and waiting on the other for 275. Im sure I will get it because nobody offer's free dirt delivery. I work right by a dirt yard. I drive past it everyday. They loved that idea. Newspaper Ads are the best because you never know what your going to get. Last year was awesome. This year i hop to have my 2 weeks notice in by the end of fall or sooner. We will see.

stew6371
04-07-2010, 10:57 PM
Thats is awesome. Some very good ideas. I will have to work my fulltime job as well until my lawncare does enough to support me. I plan on working evenings and weekends until I can quit my other job.

MikeO
04-08-2010, 02:05 AM
working a full tme job and doing 20 plus hours on the side but, it is what it is. Your limited on what u can do and when u can do it. Does my full time job hold me back? Absolutley, but i am still making money either way. The resentment pushes me harder i do believe.

Steve
04-08-2010, 05:32 AM
When you changed the ad to be more general, what kind of wording do you feel works best?

Do you feel you need to list services or do you say something like 'give us a call, we do it all?'

jasonw
04-08-2010, 11:29 AM
These next 6 jobs is all profit. Thats a couple grand sitting there.

What are you doing and charging to make that much off of 6 jobs? Or was that worded wrong? Thats $333.33 per job.

MikeO
04-08-2010, 01:03 PM
ive taken what i have not done plus those 6 left its a few grand