PDA

View Full Version : Leaf job that grew

swstout
04-06-2010, 01:21 PM
I did a job this morning where the homeowner wanted leaves removed. When I got there I found a uard covered with oak leaves. The temp here has been in the 90’s for the last 4 days (supposed to be 95 today), so the leaves were dry. I suggested that it would be better to ulch the leaves and apply my biological dethatcher, Natures Nagic and liquid sulfur.

I explained that the leaves would put nutrients back into the lawn when they decomposed and that the biological dethatcher would hasten that. I then told him I could, at the same time, add Nature’s Magic, a soil activator, and liquid sulfur to lower his lawn’s pH. He told me that he was told to raise his pH to 7.0 or above and asked me why I said he should lower it. I told him that he had Centipede grass and the ideal pH for it was 5.0 with a range of 4.0 to 6.0 and showed him the chart. He then told me that the Garden Department told him that all grasses grew best at 7.0 to 7.5 and asked what else I would do. Would I fertilize? Put an insecticide on it? A weed killer?

I told him that Centipede needed only minimal nitrogen and no phosphorous or potassium, The N-P-P on the fertilizer packages and that “Weed and Feed” would do more harm that good and that most lawn weeds liked pH of 7.0 or above and that treatment would greatly reduce lawn weeds. That the sulfur has a greening affect on the grass.

He said go ahead with my recommendation. I used a 40% Nature’s Magic, 40% Biological Dethatcher, and 20% Liquid Sulfur after mowing with mulching blades on my tractor. It was about 5.000 sq. ft. I quoted him $25.00 for mulching and $140.00 for applying the chemicals for a total of $165.00 + tax.

While I was doing the yard he went to 2 of his neighbors and I got both of them. I gave him the mulching and only charged him $140.00 + tax. I made $469 and my material (chemical) costs were less that $20.00, and got orders for further service (Nature’s Magic every 5 weeks).

For about what I would have had to charge for the leaf removal The customers got a healthier lawn.

Steve

p.s. It's 91 now and I am going to get lunch and then work in the office for the rest of the day. I have 6 quotes to do. Irving and Pat will be sodding this afternoon to finish up a job.

Rexdale Grass
04-06-2010, 08:25 PM
I love those days where a good thing gets better.

Today I went to do a spring clean up that starts at $35 then ended up doing the beds edged and cultivated, another 15 bucks started talking to the customer and he was saying that his lawn is not that great I told him about aeration and he was sold thicker greener lawn 50 more as well as some spring fertilizer some slow release 35 for the application and 15 for the bag:D

I'd say another good day plus tip :D

picframer
04-07-2010, 04:23 AM
Thats great news, the more new clients we pick up the bigger our network grows. I love it when new clients or even current ones are out selling our services, sure saves me a pile of time and if you note, when the client does the selling, you will get the job every time.

Steve
04-07-2010, 06:23 AM
Steve that is fantastic!

How long did it take to get all those jobs done?

Did you hand them any additional business cards to mention to their friends or how do you promote getting more referrals from them?

Also why do you think the garden center was so off in the ph level?

swstout
04-07-2010, 09:19 AM
Steve that is fantastic!

How long did it take to get all those jobs done?

Did you hand them any additional business cards to mention to their friends or how do you promote getting more referrals from them?

Also why do you think the garden center was so off in the ph level?

The 3 jobs took me about 3.5 hours, total and of course I left business cards and referral cards with them.

I think the garden center people weren’t trained properly. Until I really got into the business, I also thought that all turf grasses required a neutral pH. Like them, I thought grass was grass. I didn’t know that most lawn weeds preferred a pH above 7.0 and that lower soil pH inhibits weed growth without chemical herbicides.

A little knowledge goes a long way to your clients as long as your facts are correct. The more knowledgeable you are, the more credible you are.

Steve

Steve
04-08-2010, 05:10 AM
It does make you wonder how much more could be made on other jobs. Sometimes it seems the initial job is just for openers!